1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z towmotor

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Jay Ray, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Noticed in an earlier thread that it is not recommended to tow with the Phazer. I want to use a tow behind wing mower (580 lbs. dry weight) with a Z on some acreage props but have not bought the Z yet (Jan. for new tax year purchase). 52" is the max deck size, want to keep it somewhat agile for city props also.

Which of the Exmark Z's would be recommended for this task and keep the warranty intact?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Jay Ray,
    Thanks for writing in.
    I do not think I could recommend any of our models to tow 580 lbs and still keep the warranty intact. The Zero Turn mowers are designed for cutting grass and not for a power unit to tow equipment.
    The limiting factor is system heat. The recommended max. draw bar pull can be exceeded, but only for a short period of time, or heat will damage the system.
    P.S. You might find if you purchase the right size Z, your tow behind unit might become obsolete.
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for the rapid reply. I think it is safe to say that no mfgr is using drive components any better than eXmark, and that towing a wing mower with a Z is a bad idea, regardless. I'm abandoning this idea. Thanks.