Z turn Jumping the starter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sicnj, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i am having a problem with my Z i can't start via the key. the key needs to be on, but i have to hit the selenoid with a wrench to start it. Im sure this could be a couple of things, just wondering where i should start my search.

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the starter or solenoid is old or full of dirt,are you jumping the battery to solenoid wire, or just tapping on the solenoid with the wrench? If it's a Kohler engine these starters are notorious for filling up with dirt because there open around the bendix(starter gear) The only choice is to pull the starter, take it apart, clean and lube it or buy a new one(not cheap)

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

What make mower?

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Fuse is usually the best place to start.

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Start by checking to see that you've got power at the starter (with a test light or multi-meter).

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

My 223 ghopper did the same thing this year. It was the solenoid. Man the thing was higher than the whole starter on a truck. By the way mine is a kohler and it takes a special socket to get the solenoid off.

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

my exmark w/kohler does that, usually it is the seat switch out of alignment.

8. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa Whoa Whoa... don't just throw parts at it!

Now we're on the right track, Electrical is not a mystery! Start at the Battery with a voltage check, then proceed to the key switch - do you have 12 volts goin in? Then it should come out from the start terminal. Then that same 12 volts should be at the solenoid. Remember most have safety switches in the mix, brake, seat, neutral (sticks have to be out) and possibly a tilt (mercury) switch. Some of these are running + positive voltage others work through the ground. Check all of you ground connections. A digital multi-meter is worth its weight in gold, a light can't tell you 8 volts versus 10 like a meter. Calm down and be rational - maybe save yourself that $100 + dollars you were gonna throw at a starter!

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If you have to beat the solenoid with a wrench to get it to engauge, I don,t think a safety switch check will matter.

10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Once you tap the starter solenoid can you turn the key to the off position and then start the motor?