1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Z v Stand on ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lureman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Lureman

Lureman LawnSite Member

Gday Guys.

I just gotta ask the question. Which is the better machine, a stand on or a Z. We dont see many, (I haven't seen any), standons here in OZ.

I ask the question because I like the look of them and I must admit, to be the first on the block with one apppeals to me :cool2:

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

G'day! They are both a seperate animal in all respects. It is cool to be the first on the block with the latest toy, huh? We switched to the stand ons(Wright Standers) last year because after demoing one, I was sold on the agility and speed, let alone the cut quality. It was just a much faster and more productive machine than what we were currently using then. One really doesn't replace the other on all yards, but the Stander is pretty close on all cases. I sold my Z after getting the second because they were just more productive on some of the hilly yards around here. I'd be watching my legs all the time on a Stander down there, looking for nasty browns....lol. Ride high, and let 'em fly!! :D
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

exactly what impact said. The standers are the only way to go. I got rid of my wide area walkbehind and my ZTR. The standers are just more versatile. Since you can go from a postage stamp lawn to a 3 acre lawn with the same machine. Can't get a ZTR on a postage stamp lawn and you can't cut a 3 acre with a walkbehind with out taking all day.
  4. Lureman

Lureman LawnSite Member

Hey Thanks Guys

Sounds like I'll have to try and get a demo somehow.

I'm mowing anything from 700 sm2 house yards to football fields. I was thinking of getting a small Z, say 48", for the small ones and replacing my Dane with a new 60" for the ovals.

How do you find the standers around trees and stuff?? Any worse than the Z's

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

They'll blow away a Z around trees and beds...just remember to duck under the trees mate!
  6. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

I have just got a 36" stander for doing small domestic lawns. Nothing else comes close. They mulch very well & are very good on hills. With no overhang they will fit almost anywhere, whereas with almost anything else there is at least the motor hanging out behind you.
    Like yourself I mow from the very small to the very large & think that the stander will almost eliminate hand-mowing when doing domestic.

Happy mowing