Z450 w/Bagger Stalls at StartUp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Volvo Man, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Volvo Man

Volvo Man LawnSite Member

I purchased a new Toro Z450 48" TurboForce mower with a Toro twin bagger system. When I start to mow, I run the throttle to the full open position just before engaging the blade system. It seems that the additional startup load of the blower for the vacuum system takes a BIG bite out of the 23 HP Kawasaki engine RPM. I have been told that I can pull the choke out momentarily just before I engage the blades to richen the engine fuel ratio. This does seem to help some but I am concerned that the sudden bite into the engine RPM may be doing damage to my mower's engine.

The local dealer did not have much to offer in way of what is normal and what is not normal.

Would I have been better off going with Toro's mulching system for this mower?
    Any suggestions (belt release for vacuum system at start up) would be most appreciated.

2. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I do not have that unit, but i do have a unit with a collection system and when i engage it i have the throttle at 3/4, it does seem to slow the engaging just for a moment. After the blower gets going i put it up to full throttle with no problems.:waving:

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the solution is simple -dont bag!

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The 23 kaw is a pig and under powered. I wish I had a dyno small enough to measure the real power output because I guarantee you its not 23hp. It also uses way to much fuel for that size engine. Our 23 kaw bogs very easy on our 48" cub tank. I couldnt even fathom the idea of a rear collection bagger system on it. I wouldnt worry about doing damage to the engine. I would worry about doing damage to the blade clutch. Your going to wear it out prematurely with that rear bagger.

BTW why bag or mulch? We side discharge everything and have been doing it this way for over 20 years on lush, deep, thick northern lawns.

I dont see any clippings here do you?

[​IMG]