Z500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by samk, Feb 17, 2006.

1. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Dealer will take my Z500 20/52 with 300 hrs or so on it for a demo Z500 23/60 for no monyey out of pocket. new one has 49 hrs on it and a full 2 yr warranty. Wife and friends are calling me stupid for not already doing it. My big fear is a 60inch cut will just be to big. for those with 60s do you have problems on smaller lawns? I just dont want to get it to find out it is way to big. My 52 seems about perfect.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If your with the 52 happy than stick with it.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have any larger properties where the 60" would save you time, then it might be a risky exchange if you feel that it might be too big. But you know your properties better than we do. Only you will know if it will be too big. Maybe you'll get it and you'll see that you've been "wasting time" with a 52". I would try it out first, before I bought it. Maybe take it to a yard and see what it's like. Just a thought...

I use a 60" on smaller lawns and haven't had any problems. I also use 52" Standers with the other company I work for and being different kinds of machines they will go different places, but I don't really think that if I had a 52" ZTR that I would be able to go any other places with it.

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO- Z500 for Z500 - both are large frame mowers, the 60" unit will have a larger deck, more hp and larger drive tires, all minimal differences, if you are happy with your 52 you will be happier with the 60.. I think your dealer is offering you a great deal (probably in anticipation of future business) and I would take him up on the offer of an even swap. If you had a Z400 and were considering a Z500 I would have to really think it over (moving from a 'compact' to a 'large frame' mower). I love my Z450Pro and would'nt move up as it fits my properties to a T.

BobR

5. samk

samk LawnSite Member

hes giving the deal i think more because of the bagger problem i am haveing the 20hp wont work with toro's baggers and i really dont want to get one with motors. with the 60 i can buy toros bagging system.

6. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Will I notice a differance between the 20hp and the 23hp? because thats the main reason for doing this deal.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the other mower is already a demo, so why not DEMO?

I can tell you this though without a demo, I have had 48" 52" and 60" deck sizes on ZTR's.... 48" & 52" compact frames, 60" large frame.... and I find I really have no personal use for the 52" size.

Push come to shove, clearance wise there is almost nowhere I can put the 52" that I can't put the 60" and with some account shaving there would be no places. On the other hand, there are a TON of nooks that I can't put the 52" but the 48" fits like a glove.

So my personal opinion on 52" mowers is that they are too big to run with the small mowers and too small to run with the big mowers. So they hang in that middle limbo.

So if I want a mower for tight fits it's a 48" or smaller and if I want a mower for production cutting normal to larger places it's a 60" or above.

Personally I would take the trade in a heartbeat if nothing is wrong with the 23/60. It's not going to be any powerhouse, but neither is your 20/52. So I'd rather go the same speed or even a bit slower with a bigger mower deck any day. Comparing the two, you are still going to cut a lot more grass in the same about of time. The bigger the property, the more this multiplies and is realized. Plus it's easier on you physically and easier on the equipment.

With the 60" you'll make less swaths, and waste less time because you won't have to turn as many times. Plus, since the 60" version has trim ability, you'll spend less time on the trimmer than before.

PS> My guess is that he has made this offer just in good faith to you, or he has some factory sales incentive to move the demo, or his sales patterns lead him to believe that it will be easier to move your mower than his. Who knows.

8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The 60" 23 HP will be a dog. Not enough power especially if you want to use the spindle driven catcher system.

9. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Problem is I have a dog now with the 20/52 (cant run catcher at all). I know it wont be awesome power but hoping a little better jumping up to the 23

10. samk

samk LawnSite Member

envy lawn and bob r you made some very good points that make me lean towards doing it. I know I should do it I gain 3 more HP, 10 inches of cuttin, 18 months of warranty, 1 year newer, and a z stand not to mention the hrs. with your points about the large frames make sense I should be able to put it just about everywhere the 52 goes and when it does not fit I have the 44 WB