Z950A or Z925A EFI????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by frameslawn, Feb 27, 2012.

1. frameslawn

frameslawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I would like to either purchase a Z950A or Z925 EFI both with 60" Decks. Which would you recommend and why??? Thanks

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the efi will get better gas mileage. personally i wouldn't even consider a z950. if i was gonna spend that much i would get a scag cheetah instead with 61" deck. it comes with suspension platform and 16mph transport speed and probably at a cheaper cost.

3. frameslawn

from Indiana

Improved gph would be a great plus, however I'm afraid the efi wont have the torque to power through tall wet grass.

4. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

The 950 is really going to use the fuel. If your set on the 60" deck get the 925 efi.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

925a will do fine. i cut through wet grass with my 920a just fine.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The 950 was their 31 HP option. Now Kawi has it shown as 27 HP under the new system of measuring HP. It is not one of the big block series of engines that were known for high fuel use compared to the rest of their line, and I've never hard anyone claim that the 950 was really bad on fuel useage. I'd take one of them long before I'd pay all the extra money for the EFI (which is now rated at 24.5 HP). It'll take quite a bit of fuel to make up the difference in cost of the EFI. Just MO

7. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

We have 1200 hours on our Z950A. Both of these mowers are great choices in my opinion. I would not get the scag cheetah, I demoed one and the hydros were stiff, it was hard to see the wheels to make sure you aren't spinning and it felt huge. I love our Z950A, but it does really suck the fuel. I would see if I could demo the Z925A EFI on a wet day to make sure it has the power you want and if it does or it is close I would recommend that.

8. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

With todays fuel prices go efi on a 60 inch mower it will be fine. A deere deck requires less hp than exmark or other mowers. It flows air much more freely thus only cutting the blades a few times compared to exmark which re cuts clipping more finely which robs power. I have ran almost every mower and this come from experience. I have a 970 and it uses some fuel but also cuts a lot of acres!

9. frameslawn

from Indiana

Does anyone know what the new torque values are for the Kohler EFI under the new rating system???

10. frameslawn

from Indiana

Also, the the Z950A is priced $500.00 more than the Z925A EFI.