Zahn w/ pipe plow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys, well I tried a pipe plow w/ PVC of course, and have to say it worked alright. I think if the soil had been harder (drier) it wouldn't of have worked as well. So some specs for you w/ a 8" plow and a 2.5" bullet pulling 2" SCH 40. We pulled a good 275 feet before the little zahn couldn't back up anymore, mostly due to the ground being kind of soft. We hooked our sk650 to it and it would have helped tow a bit but the fool on it gunned it too hard and we snapped the end of the pipe so we went back to trenching. But I was really impressed w/ it running wire, we ran about 300' of wire in 15-20min though a horse field. I'm likely going to pick a zahn up towards the end of the year, just added another truck to the fleet and of course don't have "full time" irrigation guy at the moment so no real need to push into it. But though I'm not convinced of the usability of a plow in my area, it worked great in this pristine horse field (no rocks, roots or hard hard clay) but for my lighting and just running wires I think the 5k for the plow attachment might be a good option. I'm more excited about the dumper and stuff. Of course, they didn't bring that this demo, but will next time.

2. BrandonV

more pictures... eat you heart out ML... all taken with my iphone by the way rotor

3. BrandonV

mike check out my new water/wine resistant iphone case, can't swim w/ it but it's sprinkler certified.

Photo 2.jpg

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

cute little thing seemed to work ok from your pics
  5. BrandonV

well if anyone is in my area and wants to try one out call Greg Humble at Ditch Witch of NC, he's been great and pretty much came out and taught me how to use it.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Pop that attachment on your sk650 and it will be unstoppable.

Plowing is the way to go.
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pics with the u-phone.

Good to see a nice review of the Zahn, me wants to try.
  8. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

so how would you compare the pulling power of this machine compaired to a v-255. i would like to replace my 255 but think a 410 is a little over kill. let me know your opinions about the plow. thanks
  9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The zahn is bigger than an SK500? The plow would be the same. That is the same shaker as the 255. You get used to using that machine, and you will dread having to trench. I promise! PVC will pull as well as poly, you just can't do stupid stuff like pull big loops and figure eights or any of the other ignorant things trunk slammers like to try. 8"? They can get you a blade to go 12" and you'll like that better! Can you get over the wheel tracks for it? If they fit and are adjusted right, you get more traction and less wheel damage from tracks.
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Next time try pulling only about 100 ft of 2 in at a time and then connect the pipe , that machine seems a bit light weight for longer runs . I dont know its horse power , weight or break out force , it looks like it would do fine with 1 inch or 3.4 pvc . For a bit of comparison I run a burkeen b 30 the machine itself weighs 3000 lbs and has a 30 horsepower diesel engine . I have been pulling pvc with it since 1982