Zanfel/Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Meier, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I got into the Poison Ivy this week and I've got little blisters on both forearms. The stuff is spreading.

I did some research on the internet last night and this morning I went to Eckerd's and paid $39.99 for a 1 ounce tube of Zanfel. Supposedly, according to their websight, the Urushiol oil, which is the oil of the poison ivy/oak/sumac plant, bonds to the skin. Their product is supposed to unbond the oil from the skin and it washes down the drain.

I got in the shower and followed the directions. After the first application, my arms were still itching, so I did another application and then another. Went through 1/3 of the tube.

It's been about an hour or two since I did this and my arms still itch, though maybe not quite as bad. The instructions say to do it again two hours later if there is still itching because the deeper toxins begin to surface and react with the skin. Guess I'll try it, but at $40 per ounce, I don't think it's worth it.

I'd like to hear from others who have used this product. Feedback please.

(Personally, I can live with the itching. My concern is the blisters...if they feel anything like a fever blister in the direct 95 degree sunlight, I simply cannot have this all over my arms. Do the blisters sting like the dickens when they're in direct sun light?)

I'll post back in a few minutes after do another Zanfel application.

Later,
    DFW, TX

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If its real bad, you'd better just go to the Doctor. Perscription medicine is far better than the over-the-counter ones. If I'm working near poison ivy, I put on a cream called Ivy Block. It works pretty good just follow the instructions.

4. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Well, I applied the Zanfel agin about 2 hours later. The itching is still there, but it doesn't seem as bad as it did before using the Zanfel.

I don't think it was worth $40. The websight indicates that the blisters should be going away within 24 hours.

I'll post back tomorrow evening and let everyone know how it works out.

Later,
    osu2winbig12

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive tried everything out there, and it still comes down that caladryl is the best stuff to dry it out. theres a product called "rhuli gel", or sometimes branded under the band aid name, and that stops the itching, but doesnt dry it out as well.... the combination of caladryl and the band aid anti itching gel work great.

6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I have had posion Ivy 4 times it is the worst feeling in the world especially when the blisters are on your back:cry: :( the best thing you can do is go to the doctors and ask for steroids :blush: ahhhhhh they work so good and the itch is usually gone within the day for good, and soon after the blisters are gone also
    NOTHING FEELS WORSE THAN POSION IVY WHILE WORKING:mad: :blob2: :dizzy:

7. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I and my wife get sometimes....

I get in the shower and scrub the rash with yellow soap, called OCTAGON.

Then take some rubbing alchohol and put on a paper towell and rub the open rash. Takes the itch out with a hour or so. Repeat as necessary. By the morning it's just about gone...

Burns like crazy... but it's cheaper and faster.

The 90% rubbing alchohol works the best. Works for us great.

8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the rubbing alcohol..... couple times a day dries it up pretty quick.....
    But boy it does burn for a few minutes:blob2: