1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

zap! ow what the heck? ZAP oww wtf ?!?! trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RonWin, Aug 21, 2013.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

My echo ps225 long shaft weed eater is shocking me at the activation handle while in use. It is very random when this occurs but is always when in use. Any ideas ? Was thinking of bringing it back and swapping it or having it looked at at the very least to get it fixed.
  2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say you've got a SHORT somewhere. Hard to argue with electricity...YOW!!
  3. Ormond32176

Ormond32176 LawnSite Member

I have no idea what the issue is, but it is common with Echos. Probably has to do with the location of the spark plug.
  4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

there could be a loose wire somewhere that is contacting the shaft.

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

My guess is that you have a worn/pinched kill lead running from the coil to the switch. Just a SWAG.

You may want to separate the handle assembly to check.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I've gotten shocked by my echo's before when I'm holding it in a weird position and my arm contacts the plug wire
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't hold it like a dance partner keep it about 12 inches away. Echo had some stupid shield might ask dealer if he has some laying around.
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Don't rest the trimmer's powerhead against your elbow, that's what is shocking you is the spark plug boot, the reason you feel it in your hand is that's where it grounds out but keep the engine away from your arm.