ZD-28 Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tnpete, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

How does the ZD-28 handle with the 72" deck? Does it mow better with the 60" over the 72"?
    Also what size trailer are you using to haul the 72" on?
    The new financing Kubota has, Does the O% O down cover the Zd?
    Sorry for all the questions but if you don't ask how will you find out.

Liked the ride of the Farris 4500 Wed. But did not like not being able to see the deck on the left side. And the cut was OK. Also it was the diesel. And pulled down coming up my hills. but sure did ride good. To bad the Kubota does not ride as good.

Pete

2. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

OK sorry for asking such a hard Question.
    So guessing no one has the Kubota ZD-28 ?
    Or has had the pleasure to run the ZD and a Farris 4500 to compare the 2?
    Pete

3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 ZD-28 one with a 60in and another with a 72in

Just put it this way I wont own another type of mower, they are awesome. More than enough power.

I haul them in an enclosed 8X24 trailer

4. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

Thanks and would you rather have the 60" or the 72' deck for the cut?
    Also thanks
    Pete

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Not too many people of this forum run the Kubota ZTR's. They are not very popular with commercial LCO's, although a few here do run them. If you do a search on Kubota, you can read about all the hydrostatic drive problems that folks are having with them.
    As to deck selection, you will get a much better cut from a 60' deck, than from a 72" deck, no matter who's ZTR you buy. The 72" will give you more side to side rocking than a 60" deck on uneven ground and on side hills.
    If you want the Kubota engine, have you thought about looking at the Grasshopper midmount ZTR's. The 322d/61" is a real workhorse, as well as the 428D/61" and 428D/72". The Grasshoppers have a much easier to maintain design, and a more popular and common form of hydro drive components. The Grasshoppers also use a better model of Kubota engines, from the Kubota "Industrial" line, not the farm tractor line of engines. Disclaimer: I am a Grasshopper dealer.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes... I will agree and add that in my opinion Grasshopper owns the diesel market.
    I don't care what you compare them to, Grasshopper diesels come out on top.

7. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

Not on my yard. Could not mow fast enough to get any work done. Yard is hills and rough. So looking for a good ride also.
    Demo's so far JD757 way to rough of a ride.
    Gravely 260Z but the FI 28 hp motor was not that great. Only ran wide open.
    Farris 4500 with the 28 hp cat motor pulls way down when pulling my hills. And hard to see the right side of the deck without leaning over and looking down.
    So Kubota is next. I have a Kubota tractor and love the in line 5 diesel in it. And may go with the Kubota even though the ride is not as good as the Farris. But a lot easer to to see the deck on.
    Pete

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Just curious, what Grasshopper model did you demo on your yard?

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious too! My 722D shoots right up steep hills. And it even comes down w/o sliding all the way down like midmounts! Also, I HATE the controls on the Kubota ZTR's; weird sums them up pretty well IMO.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned a ZD21 with the 60 inch stamped deck since 2000. I did have a bad bearing on my imput shaft of the trans at 150 hrs. Factory put in complete new updated trans and all has been well. Machine now has 1300 hrs on it, with zero troubles of any kind. I did a demo of the Grasshopper Z with the Kubota engine and it didnt perform as well. I think the Kubotas have the best designed diesel Z riders out there.IE no belts, radiator layout,jack,pivoting deck wheels, hyd pto & deck lift.etc.
    If I was to buy another Z it would be a ZD25. The ZD21 could use a little more power for climbing steep hills, but its still better than any 25hp gas engine machine i have run. Hustler, MTD/Lesco, Exmark,Grasshopper,Toro.