Zebra Grass

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Aug 7, 2006.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a new landscape client who has a couple of patches of Zebra Grass she wants eradicated. zone 5. She says they have cut it down, sprayed it with Roundup, and dug up the roots. She says it keeps coming back strong as ever. I have very little experience with this particular grass. Is she, maybe, not mixing the Roundup correctly because frankly, I have never found an ornamental that Roundup wouldn't kill in 2 apps or less?

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

This place also has a couple of plants I have never seen. The interesting one looks like a dead shrub. No leaves and the branches are definitely dead. Very dry and absolutely no green all the way to the bottom. The homeowner doesn't know what it is, it was there when they bought the place 2 years ago but he says that in the middle of Sept it leafs out and displays some magnificent large yellow flowers, and stays in bloom till the middle of Dec when we get our really hard freezes. I am at a loss. We are in zone 5. Does anyone have a clue as to what this might be? The homeowners imagination perhaps? :cool:

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never heard of zebra grass can you explain or have any pics.
    Mike

4. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

5. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Try A Product Called Cross Bow. I Believe It Is Best Suited For Woody Plants And Vines, But It Mixed At The 4.5% Rate Should Kill About Anything. But Who Wants To Kill Zebra Grass. I Think It Is Beautiful. But Just My Two Cents.

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

Well, the homeowner doesn't want it and it is a huge clump. I'm taking some alive though for my landscape.