Zerk

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Rowdy_Yates, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Rowdy_Yates

Rowdy_Yates LawnSite Member

My Exmark Lazer Z EPS has a diagram for how often to grease certain joints. One of the items listed states to grease after a certain amount of hours if you use ZERK. (I think that is the term.) Would someone tell me what this means? I think it is the front wheels.

Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Rowdy,

Thanks for the question. We had a change in design some time back that changed the lubrication requirements for the caster pivot. The old style had a grease zerk in it from the factory and required weekly (every 40 hours) lubrication. The current style came from the factory with a gold plug installed and only requires annual lubrication. On the current design you simply replace the plug with a grease zerk, pop the gold caster pivot cap off and grease the zerk till you see fresh grease appear. Wipe the excess grease off and re-install the cap and plug and you done for another year.

As a side not when you do the lubrication for this pivot point you should also re-set the caster pivot bearing tension. Tighten the nyloc nut located under the caster pivot cap until it is snug and the back it off a 1/4 turn. This adjustment generally only needs done about once per year so doing so at the same time as the lubrication is a good idea.

Thanks

Terry

3. Rowdy_Yates

Rowdy_Yates LawnSite Member

Thanks for the answer Terry. I've never owned a mower like this and I didn't want to mess it up.

4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

So why the plug and not a zerk fitting to begin with?????

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

lahanco,

Cuz we don't want you to grease it too often.

If you over grease the caster pivot you can pressurize the bearing cap. The as the machine shakes and vibrates during use the cap works it way off allowing contamination to ender the bearing.

This is probably the single largest cause of caster pivot bearing failures on these types of machines.

Looks kinda silly until you understand the what and the why but it works great.

Thanks

Terry