Zero-degree turner for small-mid size lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jun 6, 2001.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking into buying a zero degree turner for my lawn maintenance business. Most of my customers have small to medium sized lawns, however i do have a decent number of large lawns, and have had to turn down other accounts because i don't have the mechanical power to take on larger accounts. I'm looking for versatility, I'm considering a Wright Stander 42" with a 17hp kawasaki engine. however i've never owned a zero degree turner, i haven't used one, and i don't know of any place i can go to demo one... Also i have a ford f150, and i think it's tow rating is 2000 lbs, so wieght could become an issue.. also i have to keep in mind getting through my customers gates if they have them.. so what's recommended?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Your F150 will tow a heck of a lot more than that:) We do a lot of smaller lawns 6-8000 sq. ft. and use a 61" ZTR that works great. I would buy big before small. If you still need a smaller mower, then buy a belt drive 36" of something.

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i guess i should specify what my SQ FT generally is.. currently i have about 60 weekly customers with most lawns from 1000 to 4000 SQFT i have a few larger ones (and would likely get more) if i had the equipment for it...

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 52 great dane surfer, basically the same as what your looking at. they are nice and compact, and good for small to mid size lawns. I would look at the gates you have, you may need to go with a 42, i think toro and exmark make a 44inch ztr. What are you using now, a belt drive walkbehind? If so, you will get alot more done with a ztr of any kind, rider or standup.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would not buy a ZTR for lawns that size, they will leave you way too much trimming. I would get a 48" walkbehind with velkie, I can mow smaller lawns much faster with my Great Dane Scamper than with the ZTR due to the ability to trim closer in tighter spots with the WB. I can get through larger single gates with the Scamper also.

Ray