Zero Flat tires

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jimbo, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I already did the search and this is a very specific question...so lay off.

Seriously. I went out to my garage yesterday and I was going to move my ZTR so I could work on the WB. I see that both my ZTR front caster tires are flat. I am debating whether or not to put slime or its equivilent in all my tires or to purchase Zero Flats from J-Thomas.
    The Zero Flats are foam filled and they claim that they are flexible like standard tires.

Has anyone tried these specific brand tires? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jim

2. Ross in IL

Ross in IL LawnSite Member

Jimbo, I haven't used this guys zero flats but I have driven a mid sized tractor with foam in the rear tires. You could mow anywhere without getting a flat, I mean thorns, even deer antlers(!) you name it. Unfortunately the ride was pretty rough. It was also fairly expensive to have the tires filled. If it were me I'd probably put a tube in it or slime it.
    Just my experience
    Ross

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, we've had the front tires on all of our Dixies foam filled by a local tire dealer. It cost $18 per tire, but well worth it. A somewhat rougher ride, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. No more down time. When they finally wear out, you simply cut the tire off the rim, install new tire and foam again. I recommend foam filled tires...........Lynn

4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

First thing I do on new equipment is replace all caster wheels with either foam filled or solid rubber. I'll never go back to air filled tires on the caster wheels. A small difference in air pressure on the front wheels causes more quility of cut problems than the same pressure difference in the large rear tires.

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Tubes don't help
    2. Slime works Cheap
    3. Make sure you get "soft" foam
    4. Don't foam rears You will damage your mower

Mark

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Guys,

Mark- Would you recommend Slime before buying Foam filled? What are the drawbacks to slime?

Have you ran the zero-flat tires? They claim that they run like an air filled tire.

I am thinking about going foam filled on the front casters and slime in the rears. My rears very rarely lose air.

Jim

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I had tire place foam mine they use hard foam. Way too hard. Slime is cheap and you can aways get foamed later. (try it)

They will sooner or later. Only draw back I have seen is it's quite messy when you dis-mount tire. Tire may also go flat if hole stays at 12:00 for long periods and slime can't flow into hole.

Mark

8. russell

russell LawnSite Member

I prefer to use tyre plugs as fix on the job and pump up. dont even have to remove wheel. cheap and fast for tubless.

9. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE ONLY THE SOFTEST FAOM FILL ON
    THE MARKET MABE BY ARNCO. ITS CALLED SUPERFLEX SOFTFILL.
    AND MAKE SURE YOU USE AN AUTHORIZED DEALER OF THEIRS. IF THE FOAM DUROMETER IS OVER 8, ITS TOO HARD.