Zero Input Lawn

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, May 12, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Ok here it is after its first cutting. It grew too long and cut too short which is the cause of the yellow look.
    This lawn can be sopping wet and when you walk through your feet get wet not muddy. So it is plenty thick.
    When the weather warms up and the grass has a greener color to it I can take another shot. The area under the maple tree [Not shown] that was weed free has been ripped up pretty bad and it is not going to be reseeded at all, so we will have to see what grows back in. My guess is that the roots are deep enough that they will fill in with grass.

Sorry for the small picture I will see if I can get a larger size inputted.

Sustain1.jpg

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

very nice.

How do you make money of a zero input lawn? I take it you do maintenance also?

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe it is his own

You know the old story about the cobblers shoes

4. DeepGreenLawn

oh, i guess that makes since.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You make money on a zero input lawn by doing the next one. :)
    [I will have better pictures, as time goes by, and figure out the correct bit size eventually.]

Actually this is dad's lawn and it was redone with a quackdigger about 35 years ago. [after the skunks cleaned out the grubs]. It was left to grow back in it own without reseeding.

There are hundreds of examples of healthy grass lawns that no one takes care of, because lawns are not worth the time or energy for farmers. Sustainable grass seems to be an issue that is automatically shot down without any evidence or rational discussion.

My bet is that there are sustainable [mowed only] lawns all over the country. Kill a couple of weeds and brighten up the color; you then should have the best grass in the neighborhood.

The last 50 years of hype has been to sell fertilizer. Lawncare has been on a cause problem/cure problem cycle ever since.

6. DeepGreenLawn

you make money by getting a lawn to a zero input lawn.

7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Dumb question, what's a zero imput lawn?

8. DeepGreenLawn

just that, you make zero inputs, no ferts... nothing. You can do this by getting the soil to the point where it was suppose to be the whole time. The soil is now feeding the grass on its own through the organic matter (OM) and all the microorganisms. They turn the OM into food and feed it to the plants. It's how things are suppose to grow. Not through steroids. That is the ultimate goal for organics.

Zero inputs means zero cost in products, therefore my question how do you make money with a zero input lawn. Answer: you don't, you make money getting to a zero input and then go on to the next lawn. Until you run out, but just think how many lawns there are out there. I live in a tiny neighborhood and there are over 100 houses in there. Get a bigger one down the street with a couple thousand and I don't think you will be running out of work anytime soon.

How do you know when you have reached a zero input lawn?

what is with the bare area in the bottom left corner of the pic? just need to be reseeded? or is that where you are saying it should fill itself in? what kind of lawn is it? We have fescue here so unless you overseed your not getting any more lawn. Or is that my chem junkie thought process?

I have so much more to learn and my head already feels like it's going to explode.

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

zero input yards are cool, they have several purposes.
    1) pollution control
    2) water storage
    3) play areas.
    4) carbon sink
    5) parking.

10. DeepGreenLawn

can you expound on these... what is a carbon sink? and why do you say parking? along with the others too.