zero maintenance mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groundkeeperz, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Groundkeeperz

Groundkeeperz LawnSite Member
    from VA

Just looking for some opinions from people who use gravely or other mowers that have the spindles and such that dont have to be greased. In the long run do they really end up saving money and time?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. The bearings last for a few years depending on use. The time, aggrevation of getting under a wet dirty mower to grease it is worth it to me. Plus the money you save from greasing them for a few years.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather spend a few bucks and grease them. All of my grease fittings are accessable from the top BTW. Some of these spindles are getting expensive and it's well worth the time to grease them.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Walker has 33 grease points and I don't see any disadvantage of the need to do 10 minute of work. Try changing our your spindle bearing or some of the other bearings and see how long it takes.

5. lawnman_scott

But you will still get dirt in them, and they will eventually fail. Add uo the amount of time it takes to grease it over a period of 2-5 years, and it is probably about the same amount of time it takes to replace a couple of bearings.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, since your already greasing the rest of the machine those 7 or 8 squirts into each spindle every 25 hours (or as per mans. recs.) isn't going to make much of a difference. Also you can avoid getting dirt in the spindles by taking your finger and wiping the tip of the zerk fitting.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Saving on maintenance because you don't have to grease is the craziest thing I ever heard. Think about it, oil and grease are a lot cheaper than steal.

8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, the greaseable spindles last a lot longer. Ever touch a spindle after couple hours use, they are hot and the grease can break down. Like others stated greaseing three spindle doesn't take much time when you are already greasing the machine.

9. lawnman_scott

But spindels are the worst to get to. You have to get on the ground and try to wiggle under it. I just hate stuff like that, easier the better for me.

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

My spindles are easier to grease than other spots.