Zero Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Miller Rules, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Miller Rules

Miller Rules LawnSite Member

Do any of the pro's here have problems with the z-turn mowers tearing the grass. I try ed every thing to keep from doing this but it still happens. Do you thank its just the grass I'm cutting or maybe my mower needs to be worked on ? Any help would be great.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The operator needs to be experienced for it to work properly.

John

3. Miller Rules

I got over 2 years experience on it, so I think I know how to drive it.

4. John Gamba

from ct

Why is this in " Just starting" :confused:

5. Miller Rules

Because I'm part time and I have all res. accounts and I figure this the only place that fits my situation.

6. John Gamba

from ct

I cut houses.

Try a three point turn, Not a Zero turn. Sometimes slowing down helps too.
    John

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is definitely technique to it. Sometimes, it takes more than a 3 point turn - more like a 5 point turn. you can't even go around a 3 or 4 ft. tree ring without doing some sort of stress damage. there is always a point that you have to go straight off, back up (at a curve) and go forward again. Some of the most common things to remember is to always keep the mower moving on a lazy gentle curve when turning - going forward OR backward, and second, to always keep BOTH wheels moving when turning. I hope this helps.

8. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

great advise above, although I have only been runnig a ZTR for a year I learned pretty quickly the both wheels have to be moving. Also, even thought it is a "zero" turn there are times I have to back up and slow down.

9. nhlakes

nhlakes LawnSite Member
    from nh

Do a search here on 'K turn' and that should help.