1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zero Turn: 48" vs. 60"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikegbuff, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mikegbuff

mikegbuff LawnSite Member

I am trying to decide between a 48" zero turn and a 60" zero turn. Most of the yards I mow are between 1/2 and 1 acre with a few that are 1/4 acre. I could use my 48" walk behind on the 1/4 acre lots if the 60" is too big for these. There are not any places a 60" would not fit on these yards. Is a 60" too big or would I encounter any problems using this bigger mower? I do not really need the bigger size, but I'm just thinking it may save me a few minutes on each yard. I'm looking at Lesco brand mowers and it's only $600 more to get a 60". I'm just trying to think ahead and the 60" would be beneficial if I ever have larger properties. Please let me know what you think and any cons of buying a bigger mower for these size lots. Thanks.
  2. Bare30

Bare30 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 48" SCAG and it works great but in small areas it is still too big. but one yard I mow is large w/ nothing to go around so a 60" would be great here. My advice would be buy as big as you can afford.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I was told to buy the biggest mower that will fit in the yards you cut. That made sense and I bought a 66. Im glad I got the big one.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ive always felt that a 36 or a 48 was fine for anything 1/2 acre or less. Sure a 60 would be faster, but I know guys who buy the bigger Z's only to park them at the curb and mow with a 36 walk behind. I guess it depends on whats best for most of your yards. But for me, 1/2 acre or less, I'll stick with a 36 or 48.
  5. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

I would go with (and do mow with) 60", as long as you have a 21" to get into tight spaces or back yards with a small gate. Also, if you get a 60", be sure to have around a 23 horsepower engine to power it.
  6. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

60" for reasons aready stated
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

ultimately its up to you and depends on how efficient you are and want to be. i completely disagree with this guys statement. i cut a 20'x20' lawn with my 60" ZTR. it does a great job and takes less time than my 48 WB. so why would anyone want to take longer if they have the tools available?? i say go big or go home. reason being its more efficient and that is more dollars per hour. i didnt become a landscaper to make $15/hr after expences. i left a job at much more than that to cut grass. i want at least $40/hr for my time, troubles, and risks taken to have a business. also, have you noticed most of the big companies run 60" mowers. there is a reason for that.

the bigger mower will go places you never thought imaginable. when you get good at it you can go anywher. hills, tight places, you name it. and its very fast. much faster than a 48. spent the extra few hundred. you'll be happy. again, its your business, make the descion you feel is right
  8. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

concur, bought 48 and wish would have went 60 or bigger. Why get a 48 ztr if you already have 48 wb.....go big.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The 60" lesco will floor you at how much more it can produce than a 48".

Well worth the $600 premium by far.

D@mn fine machine.
  10. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

MAn 2 years back when i was going big i was between a 52 or a 61 and i was set on the 52 cause i only did residential at the time every day sence i kicked my self.... think ahead what you will want in 2 years when you have 4 lawns to do in 2 hours the 12 inches make a big difference GO BIG MAN UP