1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zero turn advise

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by onestar, Apr 17, 2005.

1. onestar

onestar LawnSite Member
    from 6

I have read several thread on here about zero turn mowers and it seems as everyone has there favorites. Kind of like Chevy, Ford, Dodge and so on. I feel like I am no more educated about zero turns than I was when I started looking at this site about 6 months ago. I basically want a zero to use at my residence which has about 1 acre of grass. I also would like to mow my parents home which has @3 acres. I do not want a homeowner model as they look very cheap to me and I may in the future pick up a few yards just to help justify a commercial mower. I live in a small town and two retailers are selling the Huscavarna 52/23 and the other the Bobcat 52/18. There is about a $1000 dollar price difference in these two machines but the Huscavarna dealer I think will take in a trade on my current mower a Simplicity regent. I feel like the Bobcat wit the 18 horse Briggs will be under powered but I would like any feed back I can get from these two mowers and any advise. Thanks..
  2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Get a demo model on each. Most dealers will let you have a demo. Dixie chopper man myself. Husky I had sucked. Never used a Bobcat.
  3. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

Yep, you're right, it is hard to get a good picture on ZTR's by reading many of the comments because everyone does seem to have their favorites and they promote what they've bought. In my quest for a good ZTR I looked at Country Clipper, Ariens, Exmark, Simplicity, Dixon, and Ferris. I liked them all, I was especially impressed with the Dixon Kodiak, made very well with excellent pumps and motors, three year warrenty, and a good dealer close to home. What clinched it for me was the Ferris dealer was willing to take a trade in and I liked his mowers an costumer service. I didn't want to spend a fortune but also didn't want a cheap mower that wouldn't last.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with tinman on Dixie chopper,From a 14yr. service technicians view point I have worked on nearly every brand,We have sold over 12 differant brands over the years we now sell Dixie choppers. I feel like the maytag repair man anymore! Fear not a dealer in your small town, check the next town. If you bought a Dixie Chopper you wouldn't need a dealer/ Repair station close by anyway.
  5. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

If you're looking for a commercial ztr, you should post in the commercial section. We residential hacks will give you one-side recommendations on our models only! :p

However, my rezzie opinion would be a long list. Many of these mowers are made extremely tough and use a lot of the same components and technology. You are only looking at two, are there any other dealers in your area? You should look at a couple of others. Regarding hp, I would think the 18 hp is under powered if your mowing 4 (3 + 1) acres a week and you may start doing it as a business.
  6. FishOn

FishOn LawnSite Member
    from ORF

I researched the Zs & wanting one that will hold up. Seems the difference between Commercial & Residential is in the drive train. Here's a link to the MFG that most mowers use.

You can spend ~4900 on a non-commercial light duty Z or just a little more for the real thing.

After researching and reading all the "my Z is best cause ...", it all comes down to parts, Z mower MFGs fabricate the Frame and Deck, use their special paint color & use standard parts.

Decide what parts (engine, transmission, wheels, deck & seat) then select the brand that offers the best value $$$

Looking at Toro, Hustler, Cub, Dixie, Dixon and Lesco the choice was easy for me.
  7. EWIRedMaxRep

EWIRedMaxRep LawnSite Member

Get demo's, If you mow slopes try em on a slope, check quality of cut, ease of maintenence, blade cost, belt cost, quality of air filtration systems. I like my Kodiak, and my Grizzly. 3 year parts, 2 year labor Warranty. The overriding cosideration should be what you have a good dealer for locally. Down time is money down the drain.
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The 18 hp briggs on the bob Cat would be a little underpowered. Look at one with a larger engine. Bob Cat makes some good mowers and so does Husqvarna. Just look around at some different mowers and demo the ones that you think would fit your needs. Some other good brands to look at are Dixie Chopper like said before and Ferris makes some good machines. The Ferris IS 1500 series has 4 wheel suspension for a smoother ride and a more even cut and 44, 48 and 52 decks available and are priced very reasonably. hustler also has some good machines that you may want to take a look at.