zero turn battery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Mar 7, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I really never had a battery on these mowers that last more than 2 years.With that being said my father bought one of my zero turns from me and it is needing a new battery. I told him to go to the dealer and they will have a battery for this model JD zero turn. He told me that he is going to get a stronger battery(more cranking amps) from tractor supply for cheaper than my dealer. Will this new battery cause any harm to the mower with the more amps? I need to know before he puts one in it. Thanks

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Will not cause any problems. Really doubt you'll notice a difference.

3. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

I try to buy those Interstate batteries. In the winter I'll keep a trickle charger on mine while it's not in use. Keep it clean around the terminals in the summer.

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

It will be fine. Doubt it will help the battery last longer, but cheaper is always good.

5. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with curtis anytime i switch a battery out i go with interstate batteries they are good quality at a good price

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What battery were you buy? What are the specs of it. Should last more than 2 years if you are buying a quality battery. Quality and cheap dont mix very well.

8. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Going on 3+ years with same batteries using a 2 amp trickle charger over the Winter months. I don't leave the trickle charger on all the time though, just hook it up once/month for a supplemental charging....it indicates when a battery is fully charged.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Here in FL heat is the biggest enemy of batteries. 2-3 years isn't uncommon for batteries in anything. They swell up so much sometimes you can't get them out of the racks.
    Posted via Mobile Device