Zero Turn for Tough Home Use?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kypeep, Apr 23, 2010.

1. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Probably discussed a thousand times but here we go again....trying to help husband decide what mower to buy. Tough conditions - all types of ground from flat to hilly, rough, high grass, heavy use, fire ant mounds, the works. We have 10 acres of our own, former terraced cotton field now a lawn, and also will use the mower tfor a 12 acre horse pasture we lease, another smaller 5-acre horse pasture, and finally a flat spot around a polo field that amounts to probably 5 acres total. Basically, if it's tough on a mower terrain-wise, we got it.

So, what's a good mower out there and what price should we shoot for buying new? Husband is buying either 72" or 60" cut, not sure which. One of his important criteria is comfort - he's been beat up by the old 72" Hustler that came with the farm, and he would rather not repeat that (can't blame him, it's whupped me too).

2. trook

trook LawnSite Member

It sounds like you might want to invest in a tractor with a brush cutter. However, if it's a ZTR you want, I think everyone here will say to definitely go with a commercial ZTR from one of the many well known companies such as Toro, Deere, eXmark, Ferris, Scag, etc.

I think you should go with whatever brand is sold locally. It seems that as a general rule of thumb, all true commercial quality ztr's are good.

3. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Trook, thanks. We have the tractors and bushhogs- came with the farm. Husband hates the tractor ride, what can I say. Agree it will have to be commercial quality. He looked at Hustlers today. Any thoughts? Also, what negotiating room are we talking with most dealers???

4. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Most everyone says that the Ferris ztr's are the best riding mid mount out there, they have the 4 wheel suspension. I'm not sure of the cut quality on rough ground but then I doubt if any brand will leave a cut that is real even on your rougher ground.

there are at least four other brands that have some sort of dampening to either the front wheels (castors) or all four wheelsand are listed as follows;

Hustler Super Z--- has optional fles forks on front ,as well as a premium set option that has front to back movement ,as well as up and down movement. But some people have had a few problems over time, with the hydro's running hot and using up alot of power on hilly terrain.

Bad Boy AOS or Lightning series---, these mowers have the four wheel rubber blocks for some shock absorbsion.

Dixie chopper--- they have a few models that have a springer front fork option to help with the ride.

Landpride--- has a new model with a "telecaster fron fork setup and pivoting axle, both will help smooth out the ride.

There are a couple of brands (at least) that have operator platforms that have some type of absorbbin ability to help cushion the bumps. I think that Scag and Husqvarna has a series or model that has this type of feature. Maybe the scag Turf Tiger and the Husqvarna PZ series.

There are at least five brands that have a pivoting fron axle model which will help smooth out the ride on rougher ground, among these are; Everride Warrior, gravely Pro master series, country Clipper boss and charger models, Kubota series and Cub Cadet commercial Z's.

There is also a brand called Lastec that has a true articulating deck, which means that there are three deck sections and the outer deck sections articulate independently (they pivot) over uneven ground and contours. This also helps smooth out the ride. They also make mowers with 80" and up to 100" cut.

All of these mowers mentioned have a suspension seat of some kind...some better than others. If you have a little time, do a google search on these different brands and read up on their features. Then see which brands will have a dealer at an acceptable distance to you and then go look them over and try them out.

I know that this reply might not help you narrow your choices down any but I wanted you guys to know that there are alot of options out there, if available in your area.:rolleyes:

5. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Razorblades - thank you. All very helpful information. I will pass to my husband, who will understand the lingo. Me, I'm the horse lady. And thus the cause of all this mowing....

6. Razorblades

OK, good luck with your search!

7. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Local dealer offering us Hustler Z4 60" with suspension seat, 125 hours, for $6500. Supposedly traded in by somebody who bought it for commerical use and then got out of lawns. Will include full 2 year warranty. Thoughts on price???

8. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Oh, and the Hustler Z4 is a rear discharge. Not a problem for us that I can think of, but any input you have there is appreciated.

9. Razorblades

What state are you in, if you don't mind telling? Do you have many commercial mower dealers around you? Do you know and like the dealer that has the Hustler Z4?

10. kypeep

kypeep LawnSite Member

Alabama. No, not crazy about the dealer because they have dealership wrapped up for several counties, means you have to buy or service from them.....

Rear discharge not idea, after some thought, so still looking for side discharge. 60" or better cut but husband says 72" bigger than he wants to manuever in our yard.

Same dealer also offered Hustler fastrak super duty 60" 25HP for $6500. Still seems steep to me.

Private email kypeep@yahoo.com if anyone wants to bypass forum and chat directly about quality, prices, etc.