Zero Turn Mower Choices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by huntingfool, Feb 12, 2003.

1. huntingfool

huntingfool LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a ZTR mower. It will be used for residential purposes, not commercial. I mow about 3 1/2 to 4 acres of semi-field, very few objects to mow around. Some small sticks in the front. I currently use a Kubota B1750 with a pull behind finish mower (which does a good job but I spend a lot of time going out of the grass to turn around and get back in line with the grass.) 6th gear sometimes seems to slow and 7th is too fast.
    I don't want overkill in a ZTR but I also don't want too small of a unit.
    Here are the prices I found (w/o sales tax):

John Deere 737 ZTrak 23hp/54" deck $7500
    John Deere 757 ZTrak 25hp/60" deck $8100
    Gravely 160Z 23hp Kawasaki/60" deck $7000
    Gravely 152Z 23hp Kawasaki/52" deck $6600
    Grasshopper ?hp Kohler?/52" deck $6300
    Grasshopper 25hp Kohler/61" deck $7650
    Exmark LazerZ HP 20hp Kohler/48" deck $6000
    Exmark LazerZ HP 20hp Kohler/52" deck $6400
    Toro Kawasaki/52" deck $6600

Kohler vs Kawasaki?
    What deck width do I need?

Looking for "your two cents worth" from experts who own or use these mowers.

p.s. Are these good prices? I'm located in Oklahoma.
    p.s.s. Stopped by the Kubota dealer today who also carries Bobcat ZTR's. After standing at the counter and having several workers look at me, walk on by, and receiving no help in about 5 minutes, I walked out. They don't deserve my money.
    Mike

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

First Kawasaki Best Then go with Exmark i have 3 Exmarks all top of the line mowers. 20 years in biss. that's how i know there the BEST!

3. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Huntingfool,

I bought a Gravely 260Z with 25hp Kohler last fall for less than the price you have on the 160Z. I'm very happy with it, good machine with a nice cut.

If you don't have any tight spots go with the 60" deck on what ever you get......

Later
    Z

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Most definatly Kaw engines. I don't have as many years in business as J&R but I had exmark for 5 yrs and now use JD. So I will give my vote below \/----:)

5. Where at in ok?
    The ones you mention there is a clear cut choice.Exmark
    The others would look for would be hustler,dc,ferris.
    Also there is a bad boy dealer in tulsa and they are worth looking into.But of all the ones you had mention exmark is a dream machine

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

eXmark 52in.

7. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Have you gotten one yet? It is about time IB with the grass mowing coming up!! If you do buy one are you going to get it at WestRock?

8. huntingfool

I'm in Oklahoma City.
    Don't know the best dealer to buy from, any suggestions?
    mike

9. huntingfool

10. PGT

PGT LawnSite Member

huntingfool
    for the Gravley go to Edmond Tractor and see Ron Barnes I've been to several Gravely meetings with him he is a straight shooter.