Zero Turn Mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by atlj007, Oct 19, 2003.

1. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have finally decided to start working for myself in Lawncare, I have always cut grass for the family to include grandparents, parents, and sisters yards. The whole time I have been cutting I have only used tractor style mowers. I have saved up some money and looking for a zero turn mower. I would like some input on the 3 brands here, from depenablilty, mtc, and power.

I have narrowed it down to exmark, lesco, and grasshopper

I would like to purchase at least a 23 HP and min. 52" deck
    something in that range I guess.

Or if anyone knows or has been happy with a different brand let me know.

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

The Exmark Laser is a fine machine. I own one.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that you have been probably asked this question a lot of times, but what is your current customer base like? The size of the properties? Is this a career that you want to go into? Etc.

By answering these questions you can then pin down the exact mower that you need. Heck, you might not even need a Z, maybe something else.

4. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

is 1000 hrs a lot of hrs for a z rider?

5. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

Do you really need 23hp +? I own a Deines 60" with a 18hp Kohler for $5000 a great machine. Extra $1200 you'll get a 11 bushel bagger. I've had this for 2 years and very low maintence.

6. bobcat2003

bobcat2003 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I have Bobcat Ransomes by jacobsens formerly textron and they are great mowers,never have any problems out of them.

Good Luck