zero turn or rider

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rslawnscapes, Mar 18, 2006.

1. rslawnscapes

rslawnscapes LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out my lawncare business.the first year will be a part time trial.i'll be keeping my day job and mowing after work and on weekends.i plan on having 6-10 lawns per week.my current concern is weather to pony up 8 grand on a new zero turn or start out with a good rider.any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

Gotta go with a commercial zero turn. You'll thank me later this summer.

3. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

my first mower was a cubcadet 42in zero turn its not the best but just starting out it works great and its only $2,500. but yeah commercial is better.
    the 42 is more for like homeowners but like i said just starting out it works good or maybe you can look for a used one.

good luck

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with a used commercial ZTR with 750 hours or less.

5. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

What are uou looking to buy for 8K? I am currenty running Wright standers, unbelievable mower for just under 7K. Make a decision now do you want to do this for a living. I can understand keeping your day job while getting up and running but if you want to move into a full time career in this field it just doesn't pay to go cheap. When I first started I bought a used walker thinking I was getting a great deal @ 4500, well it barely lasted a year, and most of the time it was my back up mower! Buy quality, buy new. And don't think in trial basis terms, one year part time it very little time to see if a business is vialble. Always keep an eye on your costs, Not your gross profit! And go for it full ass, nobody likes a half ass!

6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

go with a used ztr!!

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a used grasshopper for 3,500.00 with 742hrs.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Have you looked into walk behinds??

9. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah walk behind with that few properties.

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank You Pm. Why would you need a ZTR for 8 to 10 yards? Part time look at a used hydro or a new 36 to 48 belt and be done with it.