zero turn, or stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dakota2112, Jul 4, 2008.

1. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

First off, this site is absolutely fantastic. I came very close to buying one of the new JD Z810A zero turns, but reading the horror stories on this site saved me in the nick of time. Thank you.

However after reading some of the discussions on here, I now question whether I need a zero turn or if I would be better served by something else such as a stander? Property is 2 acres mostly flat, 50+ trees, 30 of them are very large white pines. This has been managed by a residential 48" lawn tractor and a small WB for years at about 3 hours from start to finish, but it's time to upgrade.

Budget allows up to $7k on something that can both easily get up under those low pine branches, and still be practical for the obstacle-free areas. I'm thinking zero turn might not be a good solution due to the low tree branches, but maybe a stander instead. Can someone offer advice? (this is for use on own property)

2. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

i have both a stander and a zero turn. anything larger than an acre i will use the rider. less time on my feet and if it is uneven ground the stander is kinda hard on my hands . the rider has a lower profile which allows me to get under branches easier than the stander. the stander has a shorter wheelbase and allows me get around trees in a tighter circle. if the property is hilly a larger stander will hold the hill better. i am lucky to have both because they both have their place. either way they will both do the job. i would demo both types before spending a dime. i guess i really havent helped you, sorry.

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I vote for a wright stander 23hp/52 inch. Less than 7K. I'd go for the new ZK if the extra $$ doesn't matter.

Sitting and bouncing is tough on my back.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I agree that a Stander works great for the smaller properties with tight areas. If I was mowing flat, open areas an acre or larger...I would get a Z...no question. So the property you described, I would probably get a Z.

5. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I think the stander looked appealing to me at first because with the mower out front like that, it seems like it could get right up under the low tree branches no sweat, better than a ZTR... but that would probably require approaching each tree head-on from 4 or 5 directions, if you follow me. Not sure if that's practical or not. I guess going around those pine trees, the stander might not be much better than a ZTR. Sounds like I really should demo both types. I do have a Wright dealer fairly close by.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Wright Stander!

7. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a ZTR would be best for you. I know I would rather sit than stand for 2 acres.

8. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

Is it a Christmas tree farm? I have LOTS of those around here and always see them mowing the property with a Z-turn. I would imagine it'd be a pain in the ass having to walk around all those trees.

9. BNR LAWN SERVICES

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

Wright Sentar The Best Of Both Worlds

10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

A Zero turn is the way to go. you will be surprised how you can get around things.