Zero turn or Walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mow4fun, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mow4fun

mow4fun LawnSite Member

I currently have a Simplicity Citation (same as Ferris IS1000), great machine and cut all around. The only down side is hill control which my property is slopped especially around the driveway. I have been using a push mower but thinking of making a change.

I am considering a Toro 48" fixed deck gear drive walk behind and look to sell the Z rider. My property is about an acre and currently takes me an hour to cut. I do have 5 large trees with mulch beds around them

Thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a Wright Stander 48" and it does very well on hills. I take it above 30 degrees regularly. My understanding is that the Toro Grandstand performs similarly.

A stand on unit may be the best of both worlds for you.
  3. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

buy a new exmark lazer z with a 48" deck they hold hills good. so does the great dane chariot. country clipper and others are great as well. a walk behind is a great idea but unless you want to walkoff your yard i wouldnt get one, you might not want to mow after a hard day at work.
  4. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I have never used a ztr, I only like walk behinds
  5. mow4fun

mow4fun LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses, will I be missing anything with the walk behind other than being able to sit down? :)

The Simplicity is a floating deck, should I get a floating deck on the walk behind?
  6. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

Floating decks r the only ones i would even look at.
  7. mow4fun

mow4fun LawnSite Member

I have called many dealers for Toro or Exmark and all of then are carrying fixed deck and belt drive. They all said the floating and hydro drives are not in that much demand and they don't stock them.
  8. flyboy

flyboy LawnSite Member

Order one. It will be worth both your wait and the extra price in my opinion. A floating deck will give you a better cut and the hydro will work on the hills.
  9. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

With a 48 wb it would take me about two hours to do your.. I think anyway. I have a 36 wb and it takes me 1 hour 15 minutes to do a half acre (my biggest yard).
  10. mow4fun

mow4fun LawnSite Member

Wow, I expected to be about the same time with a walk behind compared to the ZTR, I thought I can get around a lot faster than my ZTR with the hills and such.