1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

zero turn or walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by hudson12787, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hudson12787

hudson12787 LawnSite Member

since im getting ready to start up in the spring im mower shoping and own nothing so as a primary and only mower for now which would you suggest a zt or walk behind

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How are you going to transport equipment .

3. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Small ztr and push mower is wat started with.

4. hudson12787

f150 and 6.5x10 trailer

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Man you will love the zero turn :waving:

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I would say Zero, they can do mostly anything

7. brc1989

brc1989 LawnSite Member

If you think you'll be mowing mostly flat open areas get a ztr but if you may need to mow hills and tight turning terrain I'd get a hydro driven walk behind since they are more versatile.

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Where in NC are you? I have a 36in gravely hydro walk behind and I just bought a 52in gravely ztr. A lot has to deal with the lawns your cutting. If they have gates, terrain, etc...

9. hudson12787

im outside of charlotte but thate reason i ask is i was talking with a buddy of mine thats been in the business a long while and recommended getting a walk behind first because if you soley have a zt and get jobs that you have to go in a fence most zt mowers wont fit thru gates

10. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

The gate thing will be a problem no matter wich mower you get in my opinion you need a good push mower my opinions are hondas or toro's but that just my opinion , make shure it is rear wheel self propelled , and then your bigger mower I would go with a zero turn , unless you plan on mowing alot of hillsides then you may want to go with a walk behind , if you have the money and you can get a nice 52 zero turn I think that will make you the most money etc , but it you are buying used equipment , alot of times you will find a better machine in the walk behind section and in my past experience they are less maintenance , but again I think a good zero turn rider will be your best bet , you can bag in the fall more productively etc , more options with the zero turn. Just my opinion though.