1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

zero turn or walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawns, Apr 6, 2004.

1. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

Alrighty guys, I'm looking into purchasing either a Z or a walk behind in the very near future. My question is for the guys who use walk behinds why do you use these machines? What are the advantages/ disadvantages? Same question for the guys that use Z's. I'm currently using a lawn tractor (don't say it I already know) and have been for 3 seasons however I've been working towards a Z or a walk behind and am hoping I can get some good feedback from everyone. It's not so much a money issue with me because after saving for 3 years I have the money for a very nice Z or walkbehind I just want the best machine for my money and one that is fast and cuts like a champ. Thanks for any suggestions
  2. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm fortunate enough to have one of each and I know some who only have ztr's and string trim everything else. As for me I cannot imagine life without a w/b. If I had to make a choice between the two, with my properties it would be the w/b. There are places that you just cannot put a ztr but yet their speed does produce profits when you can get in and out of a property very quickly. Sometimes I look back and think maybe I should have went with three w/b's, I feel more comfortable with the help using them than a ztr. I think you really have to evaluate your properties with the thought of what other properties you may do in the future. You may want to consider if you can justify one of each or at least pick up a good used w/b to go with your new ztr. Have you ever used either or are you just starting out?
  3. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

w/b for steep hills around here and small yards...ztr for more open flat stuff

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

True words Bull,Small acounts a walkbehind is great and it looks great,bigger properties a z is the 1
  5. haynestotallawns

from SC

I've been in business for 3 years and my properties are a mix of wide open spaces and some are rather hilly. I was wondering how the wb's would run on the hills. I've used Z's before but not a Wb. Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming!
  6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

WALKBEHINDS- cost less, lower center of gravity, lower over head clearance, only hydros have reverse

Z turns- HAS A SEAT, faster ground speed, easier to manuver, cost more, more parts to break
  7. ByrnesLandscaping1

ByrnesLandscaping1 LawnSite Member

I Recently ordered a 60" ztr. I have used walkbehinds for the past 4 seasons and still plan to run with 2 of them for the smaller properties. If you can afford it get a good Z and an older walkbehind for the areas that you cant get. GOODLUCK
  8. haynestotallawns

from SC

Hey thanks a lot for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
  9. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

walk behinds are the sh!t on hills! i do some stupidly steep ones with mine...hills i'd never dream of doing on my Z

just cant use a sulky on steep hills
  10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

bought a new Z trn, and a cheap walk behind. Gotta have both.