Zero turn rider Cub Cadet or Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ooomwizard, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Buying a new ZTR rider very soon.

I've shopped all the locally available brands w/dealers (Scag, Walker, Exmark, Toro, Cub Cadet, Hustler, Encore, Kubota) and have narrowed it down to two dealers/machines. The rest were removed for either cost or quality. Both dealers seem great.

The two candidiates are:
    Cub Cadet TANK - 48" deck 23HP Kaw
    Hustler Mini Z - 52" deck 19HP Kaw

http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10401_17504_162765_43279_-1

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Web-content/ProductPages/HMZ/HMZPage/HMZ52Page.html

Retail price between the two are nearly the same at about $6400. (I'm going to talk em down some or have them install a mulching kit for free, or something.)

First impressions after test drives were:
    Cub Cadet - I was not used to "slop" in the handles, side to side. Dealer said he snugged up his own handles for some resistance. I like the built in striping rollers on the rear of the deck. Has front suspension lockable for hills and has ROPS.

Hustler - Very simplified machine. Seemed fast for a lower HP rider. Handles were secure but needed to be in the "out" position to auto activate the parking break (leave em out to trailer?) Very little to service... sealed bearings and 3 year just about everything warranty.

If you have one of these brands in a rider or both I'd LOVE to hear any opinions you have.

THX!
    Mark in ATL

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

19hp for 52" deck sounds a little weak. I have 21hp with 48" and it does fine, lugs a little when mulching. Hustler has a great reputation though.

3. Ooomwizard

from atlanta

The Hustler sits low so I think it's more stable than ones that sit higher. So, I think thats why they don't put a roll bar on them. Therefore, It has a pretty low ground clearance, It that going to be a factor? Going over curbs and such? Bottoming out?

Sorry I'm a Rider noob.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to be honest with you....

Nobody that has ever used BOTH is going to tell you to get the Hustler Mini Z over the TANK.
    Especially not the 19/52".

You can be one of few that listens to that advice or you can join the many unhappy owners of this mower. Every honest owner of it that does any challenging cutting is going to tell you it's under powered.

And even if it was a 23 or 25 hp it still would not be the performer the TANK is.

The TANK is also VERY good on slopes for a ZTR.
    Everyone who owns both says the TANK is better.

The TANK does "appear" to sit higher than the Hustler.
    But the reality is that I MEASURED them and found it to be an optical illusion.

Hustler claims the lowest seat height in the industry.
    What they don't say is that particular measurement is taken on a unit with that cheesy flat pan style seat.... which is sure nothing you want to ride on all day... not if you value your tailbone, spine and kidneys... ouch!

The ROPS thing is to do with nothing more than an individual choice from company to company about rather or not to provide them as standard equipment. Most companies DO so now for LIABILITY and SAFETY reasons. Hustler will eventually follow suit also... and if they don't, once the get enough units out in the market, they will get sued over a roll-over incident and learn to implement this safety feature the hard way.

5. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

You might want to ask your dealer if they have any used Cub Cadets hiding in the back. All big dealers have a few they hide till after the new model sales slow down. For $6400.00 you can buy as large as a Tank M72 used.

I bought a Tank M60 from my dealer last year for $5k and another M60 last month on craigslist for exactly half that price your paying. Both are in great shape and only have 450 hours.

I also have the Z-wing Tank 48" cut with the 23 hp and it's an awesome machine.

You might want to consider a good used machine. Just a thought.........

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a leftover 2006 and love it. I have had two warranty claims in the first 50 hours but it was nothing a good dealer couldn't straighten out. Read what I wrote here

7. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

ALL of the commercial series Hustler mowers will come with ROPS as standard equipment on 2008 models.

For those that own 2007 or earlier models, see your dealer.... you can get a ROPS at a DEEPLY discounted price. Hustler is doing a factory supported ROPS retro-fit program.

I am a Hustler dealer and I agree that the 19hp engine is a bit small for a 52" mower. Of course, many manufacturers sell a mower with that engine/deck combination. 19/48", 21/52", etc... The Super Mini-Z is 25hp Kawasaki/52" and 27hp Kohler/52"...now THAT is a SERIOUS machine.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep! Hustler is selling/pushing them.
    We installed a ROPS on a Super Z last week. Others will get them as sold.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I don't know much about the Tanks. But I do know Hustler makes an extremely good machine. I would go with the Super Mini Z 52. Comes with a bigger engine (24 I think), suspension seat is standard and new for this year, Rops is standard. You can not beat a Hustler, IMO.

10. Ooomwizard

from atlanta

Yeah, the Hustler Super Z has the 25 HP Kawasaki. I think everything else may be the same. Wonder how much more it costs?

Any users comment on the quality of cut for the Hustler or TANK>?

The Tank seemed to have tons of stuff that you can tweak on, as well as the built in striping rollers.

Thx,
    Mark in ATL