zero turn riders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Nelson, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I know you guys probably talked about this subject somewhere here,but I could not find it.

Looking to add a zero turn rider to our program.The dealers in our area sell scag,bobcat,exmark,snapper,and toro.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike Nelson

2. yeah mike, go with a scag. we are in scag country over here. i like em. used a lazer and then used a tiger. you can really tell the difference between the two. there are also the bobcat ones that i see a lot of guys using those. however if you call my customers down in ossining they will sell you on a tiger. they can get you a good deal. get water cooled. they last longer. tigers are shaft driven. real nice machine. they came out with a new seat. if you go with the guys down in ossining they are the biggest dealer around here. there are a couple of other guys around here too. most of them live up by you so they can bring a machine or parts up in the evening. you can email me for the number. however they are in the phone book.

3. Mike Nelson

Just was over looking at the Dixie Choppers(diesel) seem like a nice machine.

You are right we are definitely in Scag country.Have a couple of dealers next to me.

Thanks
    Mike

4. Alan

Alan Member

Mike, I've got an Exmark Lazer Z taht has been absolutely golden for me.

5. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

In the past we have run exmark 60"s. We are now switching to Scag Tigers. We just got a few new ones in, with a kawi 27 liquid cooled. They are quite impressive. They also take up twice the space of a lazer.

One of our dealers, personally owns a bobcat. He's "demoed" all the major brands, Great Dane, Scag, Exmark and says he still likes his bobcat the best.

In under a year, we put the lazers thru quite a beating. They held up fairly well but, I'll have more too say after this season, when we run the tigers and lazers side by side.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Id take Exmark anyday over the scag. Much better machine,no camparison in cut. Marks Mowing Service PS I run a Toro Z Master they also have a great cut even in wet damp grass no clumping Marks Mowing Service

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mike, did you read this thread on Scag? http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=12908 I don't know much about which Scag is which, but it might be worth reading.

You mentioned you looked at the Dixie Chopper diesel. Which one did you look at, 60" or 72"? I sure like mine and you can see on my site what sort of job they do. I have had great luck with Choppers over the years and I've been very impressed with the 2001 diesel I got last June. I would suggest demoing them and look over the things that are important to you. I like the longevity of a Chopper, but some could care less and trade them in every year or two so they don't need longevity. I feel down time is the worst thing and that's one thing I haven't had over the years after I quit using JD's.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark has an awesome cut. Mulching system is second to none.

9. Mike Nelson

Eric,
    I was looking at the 60".It is all we would need.Your site is what got me interested.:D How much should one of these bad boys cost me?
    I too heard great things about exmark and my local dealer said that toro had the best cut because of the deck design.

Learning a lot
    Mike

10. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

60 inch Lazor

All the way.

But I have never owned anything else.

Don't think I will.