zero turn vs front deck maintenace and repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HavnFun, Mar 3, 2013.

1. HavnFun

HavnFun LawnSite Member

I have been investigating various mowers to determine which would be best for cutting my 13 acres. Currently I have centered my search to used mowers of less than 1000 hours such as the Kubota ZD328 and NewHolland MC28 front deck mower. I would probably put between 100 and 125 hours per year on the mower. I would attempt to perform the maintenace and repairs. Which type, zero turn or front deck, would generally require the most maintenance and cost more to repair and be the easiest to maintain or repair?

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kubota zd21 with less than 1000 hours on it. I bought it from the original owner 18 months ago. It's been great. I have a Kubota gf 1800 with 2500 hours on it. They both are 60" decks. If your mowing area is flat with some bushes to mow under and stuff of that nature, I would say the front deck mower. If you got allot of hills, I would say the ztr. If you got allot of hills and the front deck mower is not four wheel drive, your gonna be mowing a long time. I can service the front deck mower without puttin it on a mow jack. I would say for sure that the front deck mower is very easy to service. I hope this helps, I have gotten allot of useful information from this site and am just trying give back.:walking:

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta agree with this, Wouldn't take nothing for my front cut ZTR.....

4. HavnFun

HavnFun LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Property is pretty flat but somewhat rough in some places. Most of the trees are along the boundaries. Seems like the front deck would also provide a more comfortable ride.