Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quadracer_13, Jul 26, 2008.

1. quadracer_13

quadracer_13 LawnSite Member

Im looking for my first zero turn mower. Not wanting to spend a lot because I am just starting out but still want a good quality cut. I have been looking at a couple Cub Cadets and a John Deere. Any ideas?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Whats your Budget? How many lawns are you cutting and whats the average size of those lawns?

3. greenman92

greenman92 LawnSite Member

i have 2 john deeres, a 727a and a 737. We have put 300 hours on the 727a and never had a single problem at all. They cut the grass better than any other brand i have seen. I would recimmend a 727a or a 737. get a demo or one with under 200 hours and you will save alot off new and will still basically have a new mower. The extra money is well worth it! thats my 2 cents

4. quadracer_13

quadracer_13 LawnSite Member

As of right now im lookin to spend around 3-4,000 but i could go a little more if i had to. Right now i have few lawns maybe 3-5 and they are just average size lawns but im lookin to get a lot more.

5. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

if you get anything but a JD you have to change your avatar pic.

6. slone

slone LawnSite Member

your local dealer is just as important as which mower to choose. ask some of the guys in your area. some dealers don't stand behind the product they sell.

7. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

slone is right there on that one!

nothing wrong with the 757 JD in your picture. go online to machinefinder.com john deere's used equipment site, type in your zip code and, voila, the site will give you the dealer closest to where you live. if that does'nt do it, then the site has choices for you as far as engine size, brand of mower you are looking for, and year made. well lol.

mike.

8. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I dont know what equipment you have now, but for the amount you are wishing to spend you can get a pretty well set up quality hydro walk behind. A walk behind may be more versatile for you as you can put a sulky on it and also cut steep hills you wont be able to on a Z allowing you to be more flexible and take on more jobs down the road. I never had a job I could not use my walk behinds on but I always ran into ones that my Z was no use on, but I have to admit it was nice to have when I could use it. A Z is real nice to have but for what you are wanting to spend I dont think you will get a very decent commercial one except if you buy used. My personal rule of thumb is when it comes to commercial equipment I am going to depend on day in and day out I buy new. I would get a walk behind and then once my business got built up and could support a good commercial Z I would invest in one. But those are just my opinions and experiences.

9. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Walk Behind if you're starting out. Start with a 32" and upgrade.

10. BarrFarms

BarrFarms LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ar

Im assuming you have a deere dealer, therefore here's a couple. Not commercial but would cut 8-10 yards a week I would imagine. Keep'm in warranty! John Deere credit is great, we use it alot on our farm.

John Deere Z510 Estate- $6499 22hp Kohler / 48 7-Iron
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC...ts.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=1600TC&tM=HO&link=enav

John Deere Z445 Residential- $4549 25 Kawa V Twin/ 48 EDGE Deck
    http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC....ProdCatProduct?pNbr=SKU22566&tM=HO&link=enav

Thanks,