1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zero turn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cast1, Apr 24, 2004.

1. cast1

cast1 LawnSite Member

My wife and I are buying a house that has not quite one acre of land. Our next home will likely have a larger yard, but I would think no more than 5 acres to mow. Here's the question. Do I buy a larger commercial machine now, or buy one of the residential grade zero turns and buy a bigger one with the next home and keep the smaller one for trim work? I am looking pretty hard at cub cadet. Z-force 44 with 20 hp B&S Intek is $3500. The commercial M48-khs with 18 kohler is $4999. Most attractive thing about CC is that they have 12 months 0% financing on the z-force and 36 months on the commercial. What say the proffesionals and what alternatives would you recommend? Special financing would be a big plus for a commercial machine. $5500 would probably be absolute max on any commercial right now. Later, I will be able to spend what I choose.

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I have not yet seen a residential ZTR that I would buy. But you could buy a lawn tractor that is built for home owners. I recommend a JD. Not one from Home Depot, but one from a dealer. ZTR's are limited to mainly just mowing lawns. A lawn tractor can be used for several different tasks depending on your needs. I would get a 54-60" deck.
  3. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

Take a look at the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle series. I bought one last year and enjoy it thoroughly. It can pull 250# easily, so I also use it as a utility tractor. If you want to plow snow, however, step up to the commercial series which has heavier pumps and is able to handle plowing easily.
  4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You're buying a house now and you're already worried about how much lawn you'll have on your NEXT house? I say don't look that far ahead, just buy what you need for your current house-to-be.
  5. cast1

cast1 LawnSite Member

Good point C man. I may just say heck with it and get a JD lawn tractor for now and see what the future holds.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

For less than an acre, you can easily get by with the JD 110 (recently at $1499) with its 42" deck. You might also consider the SST-15 ($2399) with its zero-turn spin steering (especially if you prefer a traditional steering wheel). I would avoid B&S engines (with the possibnle exception of the Vanguard). If you still want to consider a ZTR, check out the Country Clipper JAZee (a heavy duty 'estate' mower that had no trouble handling my overgrown section) with its convenient flip-up deck and easy single joystick control. The 17hp/42" starts at $3995. Good luck!