1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zero-Turning with "Aggresive" Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Jun 13, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have the aggressive, or ribbed tires on my grasshopper front mount. They're similar to what I think Dixie calls the "turf boss". Well, these are the stock tires, and now I'm wishing I got the turf tires instead. I'm having a hell of time zero-turning and not tearing up grass. Doing fine with the walkbehind, and did fine with a demo JD stander, so it's gotta be the tires, right?

Can this problem be overcome, or do I need to switch tires? Losing a lot of time by not being able to zero turn.

Attached is pic from grasshopper website to show the tires. Not sure how it will show up but, here goes nothin.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey Mark I tryed that exact mower out last week, no problems with turf tearing. Check the tire pressure maybe it's a bit low. How do you like the mower overall??? Seemed like a really nice machine, mulched real well.
  3. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with the new atv style tires that they put on the new dixie choppers..... I couldn't zero turn without tearing up the turf.....I finally got disgusted and took it back to the dealer and made him put some turf tires on it.....did like how the atv style tires held a hill though.............

2004 dixie chopper 25hp 50"
    2004 jd gs30 /sulky
    2004 Sutech stealth (for sale)
    2 Shindaiwa t-231's
    jd edger
    shindi eb630 b/p blowr
  4. GreenMonster

from NH

:confused: Really? Maybe because I'm still mowing a lot of wet areas? I haven't done any zero's in a few weeks only cuz I'm skeered.

I love the mower overall, except my wife runs it more than me.:( I won't let her run the bobcat w/b. I don't think her hands are big enough for the pistol grips anyhow.

I haven't mulched with mine yet. Mulch kit is on the wish list. I just don't want to change over to s/d for ballfields unless it's quick and easy.

I did get the aera-vator going this weekend. I used my lawn as a guinea pig, and I swear it looks better overnight. But, maybe that's just me trying to feel good about dropping $3k+ for that baby!
  5. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

I used to have an Encore Z52 with 21x11x8 Grasshopper tires (Carlisle True Trac II) - loved the V-tread's - no problem tearing up turf, but you have to keep both tires in simultaneous motion and stop completely when changing directions on either tire. I now have a pair of Hustler Super Mini Z52's with Carlisle Super Lugs which are even more aggressive and have no problems - superior traction, but when you do slip, which is rare (usually due to placing the rider where it ought not to be) they will tear the turf instead of just "fuzzing" it like a turf tread will.

Maybe the front cut has a different weight distribution or something. If you are just starting out using the mower or tires it may be just a learning curve, because using V-treads do require a little more operator finesse - not that I doubt your skills, it just took me a little while to get used to an aggressive tire when I first tried them.
  6. GreenMonster

from NH

Oh, so now I don't know what the hell I'm doing?!?!

I am new to ZTR's this year, so I am trying to do this as carefully as possible. basically, just as you have described in your post. This is a touchy machine, so it could just be more time needed "behind the wheel".

Yeah, I know, bad analogy.
  7. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I hardly ever Z turn on a lawn. I usually use a Y turn to make my next pass, even with my wb. I would rather take a extra 5 mins on a lawn, than tear it up in spots. Even then on wet lawns a Y turn can do dammage, because the turf is so wet and soggy. I run turf saver tires on mine, not the atv tires. A company around here who does a very good job usually, mows a lot by me, and its looks awsome except for turning spots on the lot. They use a dixie with aggressive treads. I dont know if it is the tire or they just dont care, probably the latter. I dont even Z turn on concrete as it can leave black rubber marks on it, and looks like crap.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

and it's the fastest way to wear your tires out.

fescue farmer and barringtonbros are right though. gotta keep those tires moving. it's almost best to make the Y turn though, especially if you are working for picky old ladies.
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Weird concept eh?

We buy Zero Turn Mowers that very few of us can effectively Zero Turn on most lawns...

Still love my new K or Y turning ZTR though! LOL!
  10. GreenMonster

from NH

Oh, some I'm not the only one out there?

All of the sudden, I feel better:D