1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zero Turns on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TooTallLawncare, Apr 19, 2004.

1. TooTallLawncare

TooTallLawncare LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have purchased many Exmark Lazer Z's in the past, but was thinking about changing brands. The only problem I have with the lazer z is that it doesn't do well on hills. It always seems to slide down the hill are has trouble making it up the hill. I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a different mower that is better on the side of hills. What do you guys use on hills?I love my Exmarks to death on flat ground, but on hills I need to find something different and more efficient.

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

what are the degree of hills your trying to mow?
  3. TooTallLawncare

from IL

I would say somewhere around 25 to 30 degrees.
  4. strongbad

strongbad LawnSite Member

5. wrestle142

wrestle142 LawnSite Member

Are the hills that you are mowing weeds or are they good grass? That makes a huge difference! If the hills are very weedy and halfway steep, even a push mower slips. But if they have good sod you would be suprised how steep of a hill you can stay on.
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

You have probally already thought of this but what about a hydro w/b for your hills and slopes? I had a Lazer Z and yes it was a nice machine but I had to use my TTHP on the slopes because the Lazer just would not hold. Now all I use are w/b's with Proslides. Anything too steep, I walk, and any flat to mild slopes I ride. Best of both worlds, IMO.
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

My lazer hp will wheelie before it slips when going straight up a hill. Occasionally is will slide when going side ways but I have always found them to hold the hill well. Going down hill is the most scary part of the ride.
  8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What you are describing is the exact reason why we designed, tested and built the Hustler Super ATZ.
    Read about it here...do a search on LS here and you will see more pics and comments.
    Call your dealer and get a demo.Hustler Super ATZ
  10. TooTallLawncare

from IL

Can anyone offer any suggestions to beef up my existing Lazer Z to make it more hill worthy? What about bar tires? Has anyone ever tired that?