Zero Turns---what To Get????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FIVE-0LAWNS, Apr 15, 2006.

1. FIVE-0LAWNS

FIVE-0LAWNS LawnSite Member

I'M JUST STARTING OUT AND AM A STRONG BELIEVER THAT YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY. I AM LOOKING AT THE 48" TORO ZERO TURN WITH THE BAGGING SYSTEM ($8500.00 W/TAX). WITH THE BAGGING SYSTEM THE MOWER WILL BE ABOUT 64" WIDE. IS THAT TOO MUCH MOWER. I WILL BE DOING RESIDENTIAL LAWNS THAT ARE 1/3ACRE TO ABOUT AN ACRE. AM I SHOOTING MYSELF IN THE FOOT BY GETTING A MOWER THIS BIG. WOULD I BE BETTER OFF WITH A TORO 44" OR SOMETHING EVEN SMALLER. I AM AT DEFCON 4 AND NEED TO MAKE A DECISION VERY SOON. ANY SUGGESTIONS. I DO THIS BECAUSE I ENJOY IT AND NEED EXTRA MONEY. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? I HAVE A 21" HONDA HARMONY WALK BEHIND FOR THE FENCED AREAS.
    THANKS.:drinkup:

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

for lawns of this size i might even go with a gravely 36" ZTR. this ensures you can fit through most gates.

3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Do you already cut a lot of yards with gates? If so I would do some measuring before you get your ZTR. The back yard is usually the bigger part of the job.

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

36" might be the best bet for these size lawns. I am looking at getting the same thing.

5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris 1500IS 52inch with 25 Kaw, or a Wright Sentar with a 25 Kaw, 52 inch.

I use a push mower inside of gates as those areas tend to not be as large as the rest of the yards, at least on my accounts.

Tim

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Look into the Hustler line. I just bought my Hustler Mini Z 52"/19hp Kaw for $6300 out the door with suspension seat, hitch, and extra blades.

They have a new 36" ZTR that runs right around $4k.

7. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

I was in your position and i went with a 60" lazer and had no walk behinds. the lawns in my area r the same as what u cut although we don't really have any gates around here...I would have to say I have been in business for five years now and i think i have passed up maybe five lawns cause i wouldn't fit. But the time u save using a bigger mower is huge...I'm making between 40-65 dollars and hour by myself whereas if i only had walkbehinds it would be around 35-45 dollars...

8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were going to buy anything smaller than a 60in deck it would be a scag for sure, maybe a dixie chopper but a scag would be my first choice.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Check out a 52" Stander.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a 48" or 52" hydro walkbehind! JMO