Zig-Zagging opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Stripey Lawn Care, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Currently I am a Framer in the way upscale sections of town. We build the $800, 000 to million dollar homes that I soon would like to be mowing for.

Recently we finished a house in this corner of the golf course. These houses are all the same, tan stucko one story, about 7-feet in between them, and outrageously over priced.

I picked up an information sheet out of curiosity, to see what these houses that I break my back for and shoot nails through my hands for include after my phase of the construction is complete. Low and behold at the end of the list of things it mentions that you have no choice in LCO's, you must pay $124 to this outfit.

I guess I should get to the point, eh? They showed up today, and about 7 people got out of the trucks. 3 on W/B's, 2 on ZT's, and the rest with trimmers and blowers. They just went crazy, blending in all the yards together, stripes(if you could call them that) across 9 or 10 yards. Needless to say, it looked like Ðĥá*.

Do any of you have 2 or three properties together that you mow straight across, or do you treat them individually?

2. Depends on the account. Each one is treated separately, but if it can be done like above I will do it to save labor.

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, it depends on the account....But yes we've done it

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

In that scinario, you would be crazy to not lump them together (condo style).

5. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I guess that it just bothers me that it looks so terrible. Nothing bout quality in this site.

I can certainly see if it was condo style, but these people have individual lawns, with landscaping done in different fashions, they don't make the slightest attempt to get straight stripes, it appears to be a qauntity over quality issue. I agree with doing what makes the most money, but I think with a little organization, they could make it manicured, and save time.

Just venting, thanks for the replies:)

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not the way that there being mowed "condo style", its the people mowing them don't care and don't take the time to make them lok nice...So its not the style, its the people mowing it...

7. Is it well cut, well trimmed and well blown?

They are saving time by doing this, that is the point to the way they are cutting it.

Folks we don't get paid extra directly for striping a lawn.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mowing condo style saves time and eventual rutting by eliminating the cleanup passes you would make at property boundaries if you mowed them seperately. I think it would look cool to stripe each one in a different direction than the one beside it if you were mowing them individually.:cool:

9. BHB, Is that from personal experience or just a hypothetical guess?

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I would do a good job but if I could I'd mow the stripes all in the same direction. I don't see a problem with that.