Zip Level

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by White Gardens, May 26, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

So, after many years of the string line level method, I'm ready to step up to something easier to use. We've got a good amount of work lined up the next 4-6 weeks that will involve a level in one way shape or form.

Thought about a rotary laser, But I don't want to deal with getting it calibrated every so often and something smaller and easier to bring to job sites.

So I'm thinking about purchasing the Zip Level. Part of the jobs I would need it for is for the installations of in-ground trampolines where setting up a laser will take more time than actually leveling the things.

Also will be using it for general patio/sidewalk installations.

Anybody use one and what do they think of it. I tried to look at the operations it can perform, but you have to purchase the 5 dollar manual and actually am looking to purchase one in the next couple of days.

Thanks

2. southern79

southern79 LawnSite Member

Follow
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick and handy for what I do (design). For install, keep in mind they're only getting you to 1/2", nothing more precise (unless the newer ones are better).

PROS - dead simple to set up, easy to zero (no math!), easy to read, can work around blind corners without having to reset a tripod and pick a hold point

CONS - terrifying to drag that cord around an active jobsite, I found it got a little weird in cold weather, and it still requires periodic calibration. Also I like something to go to 1/4" increments when doing decks, porches, etc

4. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member

I'm really anal when it comes to setting up elevations. When it matters. A simple sidewalk a string line and a line level will be adequate. When you start building multiple level patios and step systems I like to be within a 1/16". We find that a sight through transit is most accurate for critical heights. That being said it is slower than a laser or zip level and it takes 2 guys to use it. Instead of using a rod we use a tape measure. I also like to have a laser on site to do the excavation and majority of the base work. But you can get a transit for a few hundred dollars and it will do just about anything you will ever need. Again this is what works for us and everyone does things a little different.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member

Maybe the reason I like the transit more is because we screed with strings and not pipes. So it's hard to set the laser rod right on the string without pushing it down. Which is why we use a tape measure with our transit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Can anyone else comment about the zips only being accurate eithin1/2" ?

7. White Gardens

I thought that they are more accurate then that. I'll have to look at it again.

Regardless, I think I am going to get one. I do agree that a laser would probably be the better over all choice, but we have a rental house that carries rotary lasers, receivers and grade rod.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

Web site said it can detect .1mm, or the thickness of a sheet of paper.

Posted via Mobile Device

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a pretty big deal, pretty much a deal breaker for me if its that bad.

I think theyre probably priceless on solo estimates for retaining walls or checking if the garage is lower than the street when doing a driveway etc

Would love to hear from some ppl who own them

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed one in the early 2,000's. They're an electronic water level. Fine for a lot of projects and everyone know that there's nothing more accurate than water.
    Posted via Mobile Device