Zippers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racerdave, May 30, 2001.

1. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I met them at the eXpo last year. Nice people.. and seemed to be nice/heavy duty equip.

Not sure about dealer support though.

Chuck Keough

3. racerdave

I have had one for about six years. My dealer support has been excellent. But I live just a few miles from the manufacturer. I haven't heard anything about them on Lawnsite and just want to see what everyone thought of them.
    I'm running a 74" with a 20hp Kohler command. I have just over ten acres, and start to finish it takes me 3 1/2 hours. If I can get into a backyard, I can do a normal city lot in about 8 minutes.
    This has been a great machine for areas that you don't have to collect clippings.

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious about the price ?

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of them before now. Looks like about the same design as a grasshopper.

How do the prices compare with the more popular brands? Just currious

Thanks!

6. racerdave

I paid 7000.00 for it in '95. Around here at that time it was the best price. The only problems I have had with it are a deck belt replacement and a safety interlock for the steering.The new ones have a heavier deck and a better deck lift than the one I have. The operator sits pretty high, so some tree limbs can be a hassle.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you look cloesely to the Zipper and the Grasshopper mowers you will find ONE thing in common, they are copies of the Excel / Hustler machines of years past.
    Look at the current units they build, then look at Hustlers units they built in the 60's and 70's....
    Hustler was building the same design units before these companies.

Also, by coincidence they are both located within 65 miles of the Huslter factory (Grasshopper 9 miles from Hustler and Zipper is 62 miles from Hustler)

The Zipper units look like they are built good, but how many dealers are out there ?

Pj

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Going by the picture, it looks like you'd really have to lean forward to reach the controls. Is this the case?

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The controls are right at your knee's, it is hard to see in the pic though, on the web site look closely at the lady that is sitting on the unit, here hand is on the controls.
    The other bar is a guard, I am assuming ......????

10. racerdave

The "t" bar is a brush guard.
    The Zipper is also based closely to another mower known as Grazer.
    David