Zone 5 "Kirilized"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeffinsgf, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. jeffinsgf

    jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 641

    A few weeks ago I asked about lengths of funny pipe on remodeling a zone. Through maturation, my yard has moved a little and Zone 5 was inefficient at best. I originally was only going to move the sprinklers that had "moved" from the edge of the lawn to well inside the lawn. Then I turned the zone on and watched the sprinklers that were not originally going to be moved water a huge turnout area of our driveway. After debating with Kiril on the focus of water conversation, it burned to watch the water land on the drive, even though we're on a well and not writing a check. So, in the spirit of thinking globally and acting locally, I decided to reposition a few more heads, add one, and quit watering rocks. Total investment = about $20 in new parts (an MP-3000, a PGP, and a hand full of fittings), about $10 worth of stuff out of my supply box (another handful of fittings, a 6" riser, some marlex and some funny pipe) and about 6 hours in the 100 degree weather. The time would have been a lot less if I had remembered that I stepped down to 3/4 inch pipe on part of the zone because of distance from the main and known that compression tees don't work on Class 200 pipe. Both brain farts cost me a trip to town each, which is 14 miles each way.

    But now I've got a warm fuzzy feeling when I watch the zone run without dropping any water on the turnout. Unlike a normal city dweller, it will take me years to realize the payoff from not watering the drive, but the warm fuzzy has to be worth something.

    Kiril, I'm not ready to add a zone for the foundation plantings, nor am I willing to let my grass get to the edge of dying before I water it, but your evangelical approach to water conversation did make a dent - albeit a small one.

    And for Rotar, I gave the blue PGP nozzles another try. I like the really small ones. I replaced a bunch of red 5's, 6's and 7's with blue 1.5's, 2.0's, and 2.5's. I still like the big reds better than the big blues. In the middle, I just can't tell much difference, with the reds getting a slightly more favorable nod.

    All-in-all it was a kind of laid back Saturday of system tweaking with a couple of minor headaches. I developed a true appreciation for my new SRR remote. It made nozzle swapping completely painless. Every time I thought the heat was going to get to me, I would just walk face first into one of my #9 or #10 PGP's.

    And you guys get to do this EVERY DAY and GET PAID! Geez I'm jealous. :laugh:
  2. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,308

    Good for you and your fellow neighbors. While it may not seem like much, that little bit of hardscape you were watering could add up to 1000's of gallons per year. You will now gain a little more time out of that aquifer your mining. :)
  3. Now you need to install moisture sensors and you will reach the rank of disciple. Or you can become FIMCO-MEISTERIZED and install an ET timer.
  4. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,496

    Who says compression couplings/tees won't work on CL 200 pipe? What exactly were you trying to accomplish with it? :)
  5. jeffinsgf

    jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 641

    I was cutting a head into an existing run of pipe. I did so many things wrong it is hard to say why the compression joint failed, but I was going to blame it on the pipe. ;) . I bought a 1" glue saddle tee for it, forgetting that I had stepped down that section of pipe down to 3/4". That happened at 5pm Friday, and instead of just walking away until morning, I tried a Blazing Saddle that was for 1" poly. The Blazing Saddle leaked, so I tore it out and Saturday morning had the wife go after a 3/4" glue saddle tee. The Blazing Saddle deformed the pipe so much that the saddle tee failed. I cut the saddle tee out and went to town after a compression tee. I tightened it down until it ran out of thread, and it leaked. So, I cut it further back and put in a short piece of Schedule 40 on each end and the compression fitting worked great when clamping down on the Schedule 40.
  6. jeffinsgf

    jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 641

    The thought has crossed my mind. I haven't had the courage to look up the price yet. In the Hunter catalog, it just looks expensive.
  7. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,248

    It doesn't take much length to bend 3/4" Class 200 into a glue socket.
  8. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,308

    Seems to me you could have saved yourself alot of headaches and simply installed a slip fitting.
  9. Wow Kiril you finally have a follower and you make him feel stupid when he already knows he made the job more difficult then necessary. I'm going to steal him and he will never get anything but positive praise from me.:)

    Check out the Weathermatic Smartline with the weather monitor. Not too pricey and you'll have me to guide you with positive encouragement.:waving:
  10. jeffinsgf

    jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 641

    Thought about it. Should have done it. I was attempting to minimize my turf disruption. Plus, I've tried that several times with a few failures. Usually the failures have occurred with Sched 40, but I was trying to do it right and careful. The other 1" glue saddle tee went in like a charm. The biggest "shoulda" is that when I didn't have a 3/4" glue saddle, I "shoulda" walked away until morning.

Share This Page