Zone 5 Planting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Paradise Landscapes, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I should know this by now but don't. I'm ashamed of myself. :nono: :cry:
    :cry: :nono: :cry: :nono: :nono: :cry: :nono: :cry: :nono: :cry: :nono:
    I have a client who wants me to install blue witchita Junipers, Woody shrubs and ornamental grasses. I have perrennials in the mix as well. Would I be able to plant everything exept perrennials? And perrennials should be put in after th frost in May?
  2. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

A good Book to invest in would be "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" By Michael A. Dirr
  3. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

You can plant all as long as the ground is not frozen including perennials. If you are planting any questionable zone plantings (on cusp of 5/6), I would definitely wait, but why wait on all of your perennials when quite a few bloom before May.
  4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

I Agree Been planting per. as soon as ground allows for 15+ yrs.:D
  5. Paradise Landscapes

Hahaha That book is already on my to-buy list! It tells you when things can be planted?
  6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt necessarly tell you when to plant plants but it can tell you what to avoid. It may say something like "doesnt do well when planted in e. spring" or something to that nature. Its a good book for refrence. If you want another good book get his picture book of flowering shrubs they are a great combination to use in conjunction.
  7. Paradise Landscapes

the big book I know is 70.00 how much is the other book?
  8. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

I think arround 60 or so. Amazon has some deal where you get dirrs picture book and another for arround 50 i think. Good books They are worth the money.
  9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as the soil is workable and you do not expect it to freeze again, you are fine to plant anything but tender perennials and annuals. As long as you can get water to them and keep them from drying out you will be fine. Even if the air is cold, the plants still need moisture. You should take extra care and amend the soil if needed, but only if the soil is poor in nutrients or will stay wet or too dry. A simple compost or humus is all you need to give most plants a head start and make sure you plant them a little high to allow for soil settling. Plant them high, and they'll stay alive; plant them deep and you'll put them to sleep!

The Dirr books should be in anyone's library that plants trees or shrubs. The Manual of Woody Landscape plants along with Dirr's Hardy Trees & Shrubs and/or Dirr's Trees & Shrubs for Warm Climates. The Manual is an encyclopedia of information, while the other two books offer great photos and short descriptions. There are also books for perennials & annuals to compliment the woody material written by Allan Armitage and others published by the Taylor's Guides that are indispensable. Some are more technical, while others offer pretty pictures, but a well stocked library is essential. If you want to go high tech, look into Horticopia, a software encyclopedia and presentation tool for woody and herbaceous plants. You are able to dictate parameters and the program will narrow down your search from it's over 9000 plant inventory to the ones that fit your criteria. You still have to know your horticulture, but it is another great tool.

10. Paradise Landscapes

Ha! Looking back, Gone to school, Now added Horticopia A to Z into the mix and bought those previous books mentioned!