1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zone 7 LCO's: Too late for 3-Way?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnspecialties, Mar 21, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I spoke with one of the Lesco dealers in the area today about some Cool Power. They don't carry it but of course sell 3-Way. He told me, "Isn't it getting a little late for spraying that?"

I sort of acted like I agreed but really was thinking:confused: .

My Pre-emergents this year took a while to kick in since we didn't get much rainfall late February and early March. I've got some henbit, chickweed, and a few others really popping up lately and just want to hit them. I'm sure the pendimethalin is well watered in now but that does me no good on my existing cool season weeds.

Somebody school me on why he said it was too late for spraying Cool Power or 3-Way.

By the way, I'm figuring my backpack spraying at 1 oz. Cool Power per gallon of water. Has anyone gone any stronger? thanks:)
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

From Michigan--but if weeds are growing rapidly--the time is ideal. Put a gallon of water in backpack. Spray cement until you run out. Measure how many sqft you covered. You may find you cover 2000 even 3000 sqft per gallon. Adjust your fill chart accordingly.
  3. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

If I am correct, one contains amine and one ester based. I beleive the ester formulation works better at higher temperature or vice versa
  4. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Ester at lower temps, say below 65, amines from there up towards 85-90, over 85-90 it's starting to get too hot for a lot of products.
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You should consult the label of the product you are using, but most of the Ester based products are generally safe unless you have very warm conditions.

That said, Amine formulations will work just fine right now without the risk of a temperature threshold.