zone runs when other zone runs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ashs inc, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Hey guys thanks in advance. I have a system I installed and for some reason when zone 5 comes on zone 9 comes on. I dont understand. I know the wires are not mixed up. I dont know why this is happening. please help to remedy this.

2. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

couple possibilities. Maybe a bad timer or a pinched wire. Take one wire, of the two that are on together, off in the box. Then start the zone that is still connected and test the wire you unhooked. If it's hot then the wire is pinched somewhere. If it doesn't come on then check the timer.

Hope this helps,
  3. Fatheroftwo

Fatheroftwo LawnSite Member

Check to see if the wires are bare somewhere along the line and that they are touching. May try a meter to see how many volts the controller is putting out on each zone also (should be @24-26). The controller may be surging and causing a Weak valve to open. Just food for thought.
  4. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Make sure valve does not have trash in it.
  5. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

It might be current leakage. If there is a bad connection or nick on zone 5 and also a nick or bad connection on zone 9, the current may leak across the earth and cause the other valve to turn on. This usually only happens when a valve has just ended its watering as the next valve is starting. Attaching a wire in conjunction with the common at the terminal and attaching the other end to a ground rod will solve this
  6. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Check out the Rainbird technical bulletins at the following site:

The top two will possibly help you troubleshoot the problem:
    Pinpointing Ground Faults (PDF: 152 KB)
    Field Wiring and Valves (PDF: 1,746 KB)

With an Ohm meter you can determine what is happening.
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

when zone 9 comes on does zone 5 come on too?

you could try disconecting zone 9 from the timer and see if it still comes on. then reconnect zone 9 and disconnect zone 5 and see if it still happens. that way you'll know if it's a hydraulic problem or electrical. if it's electrical I would not want to be you, especially if the system is still under warranty.
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see if we have this correct. Are you saying that both zones are coming on when zone 5 is activated at the controller? Or when you turn on zone 5, only zone 9 comes on, and vice versa zone 5 comes on when 9 is activated? Sounds confusing, but gotta get this straight.
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think only zone 9 comes on.

if thats the case then why doesn't he just put the zone 9 wire in to the zone 5 slot, and the zone 5 wire in to the zone 9 slot.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You probably have timed both station 5 and 9 to come on at the same time,Or you have them timed on both A and B or C,or your wires are screwed up.