Zone stays on

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kevinheap, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kevinheap

kevinheap LawnSite Member

I have a zone that stays on and I got a voltmeter to find out which valve it is and I swapped the whole top of the valve and the solenoid and it was still staying on in the same zone. How could this be possible, must I be mistaken in my checking the valves location with the meter?

The valves are right at the edge of the box so I would need to do alot of digging to replace the whole valve and would like to avoid that.

It is a 45 min drive to get this type of valve, I believe richdel is the name.

I am a window cleaner and grocery checker by trade but joined the group just for this problem.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Heap
    Parker, Co.
  2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there voltage being sent to that valve even when the controller is not set to turn that zone on?

Did you change the insides of that valve as well? i.e. the diaphragm, seat ring (if any) and the spring?
  3. kevinheap

kevinheap LawnSite Member

No constant voltage, the switch would render that answer false.

Yes I switched all the top parts of the valve.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly did you change?
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Does the valve have a "flow control" on it? Something that can be turned down to shut off the water to the valve? Also, what kind of pressure is your main line operating at?
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

With the controller off, I presume that you checked for roughly 24 volts on all of the station contacts, including the one for the master valve...

I also suppose that you went to the valve and checked the wiring there to see if it was mysteriously getting voltage with the system off...

And of course, the bleed screw was turned off, eh?
  7. Purp, the guy stated he was a window cleaner grocery clerk. Why on god's good earth would you ask him what his main line pressure is? :hammerhead:
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I just concentrated on the symptoms. :)
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Makes me think of Toro valves that stay on after you open and close the bleed screws. If there is one thing that I hate is having to crank the flow control off and back on to shut off a valve.
  10. Well, I wish I could hang around and pile on but I'm dedicating this morning to facing customers who have complaints. I'm taking my dog with me though. Jeez I hate this part of the job. I have one where they were blowing the fuse. So we fixed some weedeater wire damage and replaced the three solenoids and all checked out fine. Now the fuse is blowing again and she wants it repaired free of charge. Ain't gonna happen.