Zone wil not shut down

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by landscaper9929, Jul 2, 2008.

1. landscaper9929

landscaper9929 LawnSite Member

Guys quick question. Got a new client (I mainly do maintenance mowing etc) and was doing an audit on there system last Fri. There seems to be a zone that runs constantly. Obviously this is keeping the rest of the zones from working do to the pressure loss from the zone that wont shut off. I am assuming the valve has gone bad in regards to the zone in question. Would you say that is a fair assumption. I will be locating the valves after the forth and have done little investigating on the system to this point. The thing that seems strange is that the zone that is running all the time never fully pressurized. Now I didn't go through all the zones so maybe I never got to this one. It's hard to tell cause it's a very large property and there could have been another zone trying to run besides the ones I did see. Anyway any in put would be appreciated. I'd like to have a little idea of what to look for before Mon when I head out to locate the valves.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like some dirt in the diaphram take the valve apart and wash it out and reasemble

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Check the solenoid port as well.

4. landscaper9929

Thanks Mike I will. So tell me why do you think the zone in question never fully pressurized?

5. landscaper9929

well I'm pretty sure it is the valve. Just hope I can find fairly easy. I also hope it can be repaired. Arround here we are all pvc and most all valves are slip to slip and glued in so to replace them you have to cut them out and that's a pain but you do get paid

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I am just wondering , if you are qualified to do an irrigation audit , why are you asking a question about a stuck valve?

well I'm pretty sure it is the valve. Just hope I can find fairly easy. I also hope it can be repaired. Arround here we are all pvc and most all valves are slip to slip and glued in so to replace them you have to cut them out and that's a pain but you do get paid

Hoping you can find it , and hoping it can be repaired . To repair it ( if it is the valve it could be the controller or bad wiring) you have to find it . Glued in valves arent a any more of a problem than threaded valves . The best way to lose a good customer it to take on work you dont do well

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

My guess, bad diaphragm. Sometimes you can cheat by just replacing valve guts.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

thats not cheating!

its called good service work!

9. Ditto.....

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I get a call yesterday...Bad head...Well me and my hoss get to the job..i scout the back area while he is having face time with the H/O..I find a very leaky patch of grass on the edge of the turf..Lowest head on the zone...Not thinking I go to the truck grab a pgp, and come back to the head all while my partner is talking to the H/O..

I pop my shovel in the ground for a second and notice that water is still coming out of the head....Now I know the the zone was not running cause the rest of the lawn is cooked..I wipe a few handfuls of water from the pgp a few times and notice that constantly fresh clean water is coming through the dirty merk that has been sitting..You know what I'm talking about....

BINGO!!!!!!!

stuck valve...find the valve box, put my ear to the Hunter PGV,I think, and hear a slight weap...All in the matter of 5 mins....I replaced the valve in 15 after we tried to flush and bleed the debris out..turns out a small pebble was stuck under the diaphram.

It felt good to get a compliment from a 20 year vet on that one...Made my day...

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2: