zorro zoysia?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by turnipgreen, Feb 23, 2007.

1. turnipgreen

turnipgreen LawnSite Member

5 years ago we used El Toro Zoysia in our lawn. It has done well, does OK in the shade. I am doing another lawn now, notice newer varieties. One named Zorro is touted as even better. Anyone have experience with Zorro, or offer another suggestion for north central Alabama with part of the yard in full sun, part in partial shade?

Ron

2. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a yard full of several types, zoysia matrella, zoysia japonica in several varieties. Meyer Z-52 seems to do the best here but Zorro zoysia did thrive for a while before the grubs got it. My choice is the old Meyer zoysia, but you need to mow low, 1.5 inches to avoid thatch buildup. All zoysias thrive in full sun or partial shade. Do you have sandy, clay or loamy soil?

3. turnipgreen

turnipgreen LawnSite Member

The area I'm doing this time is mostly sandy. One section is full sun til the trees grow some, other part is partial shade. I may end up going with the El Toro, since I've had good luck with it already, although it is in a different location with different soil, but similar sun.

Ron