1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Zoyaia Grass - fungus - too much water

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ScottWaid, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ScottWaid

ScottWaid LawnSite Member

My clients are in Austin Texas. I have several lawns with zoysia grass that is not doing well. We’ve been having record rains and I think some the lawns may not have the best drainage. THe grass has brown spots and is thinning. Last year, they were completely lush like a carpet.. Is there a fungus in the lawn and what should I do to treat this problem?

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

What is the pattern of injury, systemic throughout the entire turf site or random patterning?
    Is the overall color kind of washing out to a pale green?
    With the amount of rain, leachates from fertilizer could easily be displaced from the soil causing an overall thinning of turf. Or it could be a soil or foliar insect attack, or it could be either Rhyzoctonia or Pythium - both of which attacks C3 and C4 (like Zoysia) turf grass.
    First thing is to submit a turf sample to Texas A&M in College Station, you can download their sampling/mailing instructions, as soon as possible.
    Once the pathogen has been cultivated, treat accordingly.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia is a wonderful turf and can be kept Weed Free very easy. It is also drought resistance and has little insect problems. However Fungus is a problem on Zoysia that is fertilized and watered heavy.
  4. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

We have alot of Leaf Spot, Grey Leaf Spot and Brown Patch working in Austin right now due to the rain and unseasonably cool temps. I would treat the lawn with a broad spectrum fungicide like Revere or T-storm. They are labled for all the above and are available at the Lesco store in Austin.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

...but know what you're treating, and why. I've just cleaned up a lot of dollar spot (very unusual here) with 21-0-0, and a lot of leaf spot with 5-3-2 Organic from UAP
  6. ScottWaid

ScottWaid LawnSite Member

THanks Ric. What can I do to eliminate the fungus? Is there a pesticide or will it go away by itself when the rain stops and the weather becomes Texas hot again?
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TforTexas gave a better detailed answer than I did. You may want to reread it.

However Depending on the application equipment you have, You may want to apply a broad spectrum Fungicide After taking samples to be sent to the lab. A Skid Sprayer would be the quickest way to apply a fungicide that could start to work immediately. Zoysia advantages of slow growth also become a Disadvantage when trying to grow in a bad spot.