Zoyia cut height

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Aug 16, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

With Zoyia grass becoming popular what height are you lco's cutting it at? I have been cutting it at the range 3 3/4 to 4 inches. They say you can cut it at less than 2 1/2 inches. I find it hard to cut it any lower than 3 1/2 . With my 60 inch it will scalp it and lower. Thanks
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You answered your own question. Zoysia is tolerant down to 1.5 with a reel and flat ground. 3.5 keeps a decent canopy to crowd out the weeds in the heat.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Your first problem is your cutting it with a huge ztr. Get a reel and do it the right way.

I cut empire anywhere from 1-2" with my Tru-cut. You can cut it down to greens height as well. IF you go that low you def. need a reel. I think rotaries will give a decent cut at the higher settings, that's all. And I mean a 21", not a huge ztr.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Does that mean I can't use my 70" triplex?? Zoysia has got to ne the most scalp prone grass out there. Currently I cut the little bit that i have at 2.5 with a 52" W/B. If the prep work was not done at least half right you just can't cut it low without scalping, do the best you can.
  5. Do what you want. The cut of a reel can't be matched. Yea, it's scalp prone but putting a huge ztr on a lawn will increase scalping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

HINT: (a triplex is a reel mower)
  7. Whoops didn't know that. My bad. Sure cut with it. I still wouldn't put a 60" ztr on a zoysia lawn.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'm cutting them at 4.25" right now, according to the height selection on the Super Z. I cut them at no less than 3.5" in the spring and work up from there.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia will scalp if it is being mowed properly for the first time. In your area, it is best to cut it down to less than an inch with a reel at the first mowing. Then maintain at 3/4-1" for the rest of the year. Not enough nitrogen and potassium means that there will be no green after every mowing. In my area, the good lawn crews use an reel on zoysia and normal height of cut is 3/4" or less. Only time this looks bad is if the lawn is not getting enough water and fertilizer. Want it to look like a golf green?, there is much more to it than just cutting it short.
  10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Most my zoy is replacment for aug. So tends to be aug in front and zoy in back or some mix of that nature. I cut it at the same height. 4.5in and it's constantly deep green and easy to mow