zoysia color?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by d.m.d., Oct 14, 2006.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

my yard is 70% zoysia.is there any other grass seed i can blend with it that will look good?also i read on here that iron will darken the color of my grass.i went to home depot this morning and didnt see much with iron.one brand did say with 2% iron but that dont seem like much.....any help?also as soon as we get a good freeze my lawn will start going dormant and turn brown so should i wait till spring to worry about the iron?

2. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

as far as overseeding a zoysia lawn with anything I would use Rye it grows fast & will die out in the summer. 2% Iron should be enough, if you want more go to a greenhouse & ask for Ironite.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i second the rye suggestion. also keep in mind that this time of year the zoysia will be going dormant, so iron applications now will not do any good.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rye is good for over-seeding a dormant Zoysia lawn. First frost and you're Zoysia is green less quick. We have a few Zoysia lawns here in Chicago, first turf type to go dormant,late to green up in the spring.

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you could always paint it! 6 to 7 oz of green turf paint / gallon of water.

6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I am a couple hundred miles South-Southwest of you, and my zoysia started going dormant last week. We got a frost and a few cooler days, and that is always the end of green zoysia. I have some repair areas that I threw some annual rye on that are as green as can be. Looks kind of funny in the middle of the almost brown zoysia. I am going to pass on overseeding with anything this year, since my lawn is very young (first full season). I'll watch the annual rye patches this year and consider whether to broadcast that over the whole lawn next fall.