Zoysia cutting hight??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasshopperslc, Jun 17, 2005.

1. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

What hight do you guys cut zoysia at? I found the best hight for most of my zoysia customers and regular customers to be 3" - 3 1/2".I'v seen a lot of very short zoysia lawns around 1"-2",but they are all a yellow green color.I know zoysia does come in different varieties.
  2. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I only have one zoysia customer. I (at his direction) cut it at 3 inches. I only cut every 2 weeks and I have to take off about 1 and 1/2inches each time. I bag, also at his request. It is a very good looking yard when I finish it. Yeah, I don't think zoysia should be cut short, but it will probably recover as it seems to be very tough. 10/4 on the different varieties, some of them may require shorter cuts, I am not that familiar with them.
  3. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Zoysia also seems to get stressed out easily here in the summer if the customer doesn't water and/or fertilize. Zoysia is also a high thatch producer, which can keep the water and nutrients from reaching the roots.
    One book that I have says mowing height 1-2", another says3/4-2", but I would not cut it under 2". Hope this helped some.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Everything I've read says to cut it short. I had one and cut it high, 3-3 1/2 and it looked like a lush carpet. It also striped really good at the higher cut.
    It looked so inviting for bare feet!
    I cut it every week and sometimes it was just shaving the top off. One thing about it though, cut grass won't filter down so you'll have to do something about the clippings. I blew it off because not much was cut off at a time but it was still visible.
  5. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Just depends on how thick the grass is in the lawn. Like "Tharrell" I have one lawn that I cut at 3.5" and it looks awesome. It stripes perfect and looks perfect. Also, I have another lawn that I have to cut it at 2.25" and it looks as smooth and green as could be.
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My one and only zoysia yard is cut at 1.75". The only reason this works is because the customer waters and fertilizes heavily and he also cuts the yard once in between my weekly visits...